5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Bleeding....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 01:08 PM
1JoAnn

Default Bleeding....

Hi, I had to replace the rear calipers on the 5.0 gt and didn't think much about it but now of course I have to bleed the brakes. I was told that some expensive tool would be needed to bleed those because of the ABS system. Is that true? can I bleed them as any other brake system and then "limp" to a dealer to have them finished? I'm not finished yet might as well do the front at the same time + the car is in the garage for the winter anyway so I'm not in a rush.
thanks
Old 12-12-2006, 01:39 PM
speakerman86
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Bleeding....

I haven't seen your setup, but I would recommend looking into what's called a powerbleeder. I think you can pick one up at your local parts store and shoud cost less than $50. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:16 PM
1JoAnn

The car is stock. Brake system is factory original.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:19 PM
speakerman86
2nd Gear Member

a powerbleeder should still work. I believe they hook up to one of the bleeder valves and there is another hose that goes tothe master cylinder. It circulates the fluid ad removes any air from the lines. It should work. Call up your local parts store and get quotes on a powerbleeder and ask if it's compatible. If the bleeder valves are the same as the ones on my 89, it should be something like an 8mm wrench to loosen them.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:37 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

i have bled the brakes on many of my vehicles and have never had any issues doing it the normal way of having buddy pump brakes, then hold pedal down, then i open bleeder valve for a second, then have buddy repump and then hold pedal down, then i open bleeder valve again, i do that until i feel like i got all the air out.

be sure to check the brake fluid level before going on to the next caliper, if it goes all the way down, you will have to start the process all over again...
Old 12-12-2006, 05:14 PM
86_GT_Mustang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1JoAnn

Hi, I had to replace the rear calipers on the 5.0 gt and didn't think much about it but now of course I have to bleed the brakes. I was told that some expensive tool would be needed to bleed those because of the ABS system. Is that true? can I bleed them as any other brake system and then "limp" to a dealer to have them finished? I'm not finished yet might as well do the front at the same time + the car is in the garage for the winter anyway so I'm not in a rush.
thanks
what abs system?

for what i know fox's didn't have abs
Old 12-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

94-95 5.0.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:34 PM
1JoAnn

It's a 95 GT. I dont think I'll have any problems with a power bleeder. I've done it on numerous cars before without any problems.
The thing is that when my wife bought the car the previous owner had a Chilton's book and the other day I was reading about the brakes (after everything was dismantled of course) and that's when I saw the page where they warn about the antilock syst. and the "tools" needed to bleed everything.
I was just curious about it.
Brakes are all dismantled. I took everything apart and cleaned, wire brushed and repainted everything.
One of the pins on the rear caliper was rustfrozen and the caliper was twisting. Parking brakes were not working ok.
Next will be installing a new radio(xmass gift)
This will be the first modification ever doneon the car.(radio)Te car has about 60000miles.

Thanks for the replys.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:44 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Rear calipers? We have rear drum breaks.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:53 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Since you put new rear calipers on you should jsut flush the system. For that just remove all the old fluid from the master cylinder (a pipepette works) then fill with new fluid then just keep manually bleeding until all old fluid is gone. Ive heard about havin gto use different methods for rear park brakes integrated into the serive brakes but not for ABS. Manual bleeding shouldnt hurt anything.