5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

good deal? PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 01:32 PM
kennyh

Default good deal? PLEASE HELP!

I'm looking at a '91 lx 5.0. Paint seems decent, not wonderful at a glance. Didn't notice any rust. New cams and rockers, fenderwell cai (don't know brand), new front control arms, new "performance brakes", 3.73 gears, engine was rebuilt 80,000 miles ago, transmission is brand new (owner spouted off some name brand fancy racing stuff that i know nothing about). The car itself has around 200,000 miles. I havn't seen anything but a drive-by glance of the car. Test driving it tommorow. I really don't know a whole lot about cars, and know even less about this particular model of car. What do ya'll think... for 4,000 is that way overpriced? Is there anything in particular i should look for tommorow during a test drive? Any info would be GREATLY appreciated. Would this be a good project car/daily driver with a backup rig in case for somebody to learn with?

thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:36 PM
disturbed471985
4th Gear Member

Default RE: good deal? PLEASE HELP!

Id want prof of the rebuild! And id find out what kinda tranny he said he installed and id want prof of that. Hell id want prof of everything! People well say anything to sell something so watch out. Get comp test for sure.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:39 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

+1 See if he has receipts and maintance records. The only thing that sucks when buying modded cars is that they mod them for ONE reason, to go fast. 90% of the time these people are putting their cars through hell every day they drive it. I personally dont like buying modded cars so I have no comment on the price. Its a personal opinion wether you want to go the easy way and buy a car already modded or buy a stocker and do the work yourself and know its done right and know what the car has been through. I paid 5K for mine w/ 84K on the clock, all original, brand new AOD trans, 2 owners, garage kept, female owned, good paint, almost PERFECT interior, etc.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:48 PM
warthrone
1st Gear Member

4 sounds high to be bro, Id offer him 3. Is the oil pressure good?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:26 PM
kennyh

Alright, heres where i prove how car-inept i am... is there a way to check oil pressure other than dummy lights or whatever is in this model of car (again, i've seen nothing other than a drive past the car so far.)

Here's my choices,

04 6 cyl for $12,500 (maybe negotiable, been in the lot for a long time now) bone stock
03 6 cyl for $9,800 (noticed strange grind when shifting into 5th gear, only 5th gear, synchro's??) CAI, stock otherwise leather interior
both of which in great condition

or this car.

I'm stationed in Germany so mustangs are hard to come by... but i've got the bug... bad.

A fast car (to me, anything 0-60 in less than 10 or 15 minutes is fast. I'm a country boy with no money, driven a 73 chevy pickup for the last several years) would be fun, but i've been looking for something newer and reliable till this popped up.

opinions???
Old 12-15-2006, 02:30 PM
kennyh

Alright, heres where i prove how car-inept i am... is there a way to check oil pressure other than dummy lights or whatever is in this model of car (again, i've seen nothing other than a drive past the car so far.)

Here's my choices,

04 6 cyl for $12,500 (maybe negotiable, been in the lot for a long time now) bone stock
03 6 cyl for $9,800 (noticed strange grind when shifting into 5th gear, only 5th gear, synchro's??) CAI, stock otherwise leather interior
both of which in great condition

or this car.

I'm stationed in Germany so mustangs are hard to come by... but i've got the bug... bad.

A fast car (to me, anything 0-60 in less than 10 or 15 minutes is fast. I'm a country boy with no money, driven a 73 chevy pickup for the last several years) would be fun, but i've been looking for something newer and reliable till this popped up.

opinions???
Old 12-15-2006, 02:38 PM
jimmyr

im shure someone in the base has a compresion gauge..pull a plug and check it...i dont remember what is bad or good...also a easy check is the axle shaft see if their is any slop in it.. you could check the oil to see if its dirty to. a high stall converter would be bad if you are going to drive it around alot...unless you like smoken tires every stop..
Old 12-15-2006, 02:47 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't get anything but a V8 stang if you want a stang. You wont be happy down the road when you want to go faster. I would start the guy out low, like $2,500 and go from there, but I wouldn't pay over $3,500 tops, just cus the mileage. Engine and tranny are only a couple things that can wear out...that many miles and other things start to go like bushings, bearings, gears, ect. Just be smart about it, see something you don't like, use that to argue, and don't make a deal the same day. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

First the 91. If its a hatch check the back window for rust and by the keyhole. Ive seen them rust there quite a bit. Does the hatch stay up? If not the struts are worn. If its a vert make sure the top works and isnt torn anywhere. If it s a notch im not sure as ive never checked one out.

Definitely get proof of the work done, especially with performance parts added. With 200,000 miles the suspension bushings will be shot id say and most likely have a few squeaks and rattles elsewhere. Id also check the body panels for straightness or large gaps particularly the front fenders/doors to make sure it hasnt been hit at one time too bad. If the doors squeak they probably need new hinges pins and/or bushings.

Common stuff to go bad:
door weatherstrip
trunk weatherstrip
headlights fog up
ashtray door

One thing ive noticed in the past is if a seller seems stuck on highlighting the go-fast goodies, the cars probably been beat to hell. But not always.

As for the 03 the grinding in 5th could be the gear itself to. They do strip. Youll have to take it apart to be sure. You could use that to further lower the price.

The 04 sounds in the best condition but with a no money budget, that kinda gets in the way, of all 3 actually. If you want more power later, there are performance vendors that deal with the v6.

I prefer the 91 myself. Im not trying to scare you on the info but if youre on a budget you cant be too careful sometimes. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger
Just be smart about it, see something you don't like, use that to argue, and don't make a deal the same day.
+1. Thats some good advice right there. Let us know what you found out before making a deal.

Quick Reply: good deal? PLEASE HELP!