5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1st time to drag strip.. help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 04:41 AM
2CLN4U

Default 1st time to drag strip.. help?

So I will soon be visiting my Local drag strip for my 1st 1/4 mile test.
I have never dragged the 1/4 mile before and have a couple questions relating to my 91 GT 5.0 that I will be driving.

What is the best way to launch the car? I have new tires and it still spins em pretty good if I try to launch quickly. If I try to launch slower and then mash it in 1st gear it spins em a lot. What is the best way to launch with the least amount of wheel spin w/o further mods to the suspension?
It is it a good idea to get the tires really hot before the race?

One last thing. Check out my signature and then make a guess to what you think my time will be. 3.73 gears and some Toluline in the tank. Anyone heard of that stuff. It's like super high octane paint thinner you can buy at your local paint shop. We tried it in my friends Talon and damn... you could really tell a difference. We mixed 8 gallons 92 octane with 3 gallons of the Toluline.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:01 AM
diablo9861
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 1st time to drag strip.. help?

best think i have found out is to lower the tire preassure into the 20's. i did this after asking the same ? and damn did it help with my launch as well as getting grip. also i found out that if i launche between 2000 and 2200 rpms i get the best grip as well as launch. but yopu have to just play around with your rpms at launch. try at 2500 if your tires spin cut it back to 2400 rpms next run. also wait like 15-20 minutes in between runs to let your engine cool a little i have found that helps with times as well. anorther thing is too lanch at the third yellow. it will get you better Rreaction times. i have been told these things as well all worked for me. just takes a few times down the track to get it down my very first time i ran a 17 haha i was nervous as hell. now im sitting at 15.2. mines all stock and i just cleaned my tb, egr spacer and all that and boy did that help. so im hoping tpo get into 14's tomorrow where it should be. if you need more help and others dont answer reasd old replies youll find out tips for sure, i did. good luck and post your times when you get them.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:20 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Good luck! He gave you some good tips - I'll say your probably gonna be in the mid 14's somewhere.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Stinger
4th Gear Member

Cmon MD you know there is more then just that hehehhe. Md is right your car should run 14s. Also did you lower your with those springs? That could cause some traction issues.Dont mix that stuff in your tank you wanna know what your car runs as it sits dont you? If you wanna just run as fast as you can make the mix then take 2 bags of ice with you ,after you make 2 passes pull out 1 bag and lay it across ur intake from TB back. Make sure your front tires have about 35 psi or more drop the rear to about 22 psi . Dont go in the water box drive around it and then do small burn out to clean your tires. Also drive it like you do on the street, Dont rev your motor to 2500 cause you gonna spin unless ur car is gutless. If you do rev feather clutch through 1st gear cause you gonna spin.If you come off @ idel and dont mash it to hard the momentum should carry you for a 2.2 60ft ..down to 2.1 in this case is good for street tires.If you had some Nittos then i would say a rev higher. Practice on street few times see how it feels.Take out the spare tire and Subs if u have any. Dont try and power shift unless you are good already save the transmission hehhe youll be shift faster cause you will be excited just from being there.Dont worry about your first run or ur second cause they more then likely gonna be 17 or 16s just cause your new at it. Other then that enjoy and have fun cause thats waht it is all about my friend FUN. Using this idel method i have ran some 2.0 60ft times in a stock mustang with a 14 flat pass. GOOD LUCK
Old 09-09-2004, 12:51 PM
stangcrazy
2nd Gear Member

One thing that I think is very important and not mentioned is to be sure that your set up on a good line. When you pull up you will see where all those before you run down the track if your outside of that line you will spin like crazy.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:53 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Stinger

Cmon MD you know there is more then just that hehehhe.
I just figured you'd set em straight, see how much typing I saved [sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old 09-09-2004, 01:56 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Just try to relax and have some fun the first time out. I wouldn't mess around with any gas additives first time out either, never know what damage you might to with that stuff. Lower you rear tire pressure and don't worry about getting them real hot in the burnout box, just a light spin to clean them off will do for now. Also, don't spin the tires while sitting directly in the water puddle, all this does is throw water up into the wheelwells where it will be dripping off onto the track when you stage the car. pull through the water first and then spin them. don't worry about reaction times either, that will come with more experience, just wait for the last yellow to flash and then go. before you go to tech, make sure you have a bottle of white shoe polish with you and you have removed anything loose lying around in the car and from the wheels too, no hub covers, etc. are allowed. also make sure your radiator overflow bottle is not too full where it could overflow onto the track when it gets hot and that the battery is securely held in place with the stock hold downs as the tech guys will look for this stuff too. and the most important thing I can tell you is this: after you cross the finish line, make sure you know where the other car is before you attempt to turn off the track at the turnoff, especially if you have to cross over his lane to get to the turnoff. if there is any doubt in your mind about where he is, then go to the last turnoff at the end of the track so you don't have a collision with the other car. after you get back to the pits, pop the hood and let the engine cool off but don't bother wasting time and money with ice on the manifold. all this does is get everything wet and you don't want to pull up into the lanes dripping water all over the place. the track tech guys and the other racers will appreciate you staying dry!
Old 09-09-2004, 09:50 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I would not use the gas additive. Junk from the hardware store isn't get to get you anywhere anyway. If it really worked it would be sold as race fuel additive......
Old 09-09-2004, 10:03 PM
89lx302
1st Gear Member

what the hell is Toluline? i'll be swaping out my engine or rebuilding it in about a months time, might as well see if it really works. you said it was thinner?
Old 09-09-2004, 10:50 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

ok on the last yellow you go..my best advice*L*

Quick Reply: 1st time to drag strip.. help?