5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

guess mods don't make your car faster..

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 09:55 AM
chicogotgreen
1st Gear Member

Default RE: guess mods don't make your car faster..

ORIGINAL: ckyguy68

interesting, and it makes sense. So that means the 215/50/15s ive got on my 10 holes are slowing me down?

not at all... the smaller diameter tire will decrease his overall distance.

I just did a TON of number crunching... if you sat two completely equal copies of his car side by side at the drag stip. One equipped with the tires he has now, and one equipped with a properly sized tire. and allow the two cars to only make 197 revolutions of the rear tires. When the car with a properly sized tire is at the finish line with 197 revolutions, the car with the improperly sized tire, would be 82.2 feet behind.
oh and with this. Uh, yah, a car with undersized tires has to have more revolutions of the rear axle to make it a set distance, but it also has a lower gear ratio and therefore stronger acceleration, allowing it to get there even QUICKER. The things you have to account for are traction and shifting. A car with lower gearing will, if you take traction and shifting out of the equation, ALWAYS accelerate quicker than the same car with higher gearing.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Josh95gt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: live4motocross11

the only thing i can think of is in my auto ive noticed if u just flat out floor it mine seems to bog a little and is slower than if u dont just straight put it down but more so "ease into it aggressivly" if that makes ne scence?

Yeah i've noticed that, when i floor it off the line it seems like it bogs. When i ease into it aggressivley it doesn't do that as bad, course i cant' say to much its got 137,000 miles and is completly stock.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Josh95gt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tinman

If you were at either of the strips in the Phoenix,Az area you aere at about 1450' above sea level and my guess would be the air density was about 3000'.
So, car is slower by .20-.30 than it would have been at sea level.
Fix timing/misfire/get tires.
I'd stay out of AMP if I were you.........

Does that really matter, cause if hes at 1450' then thats the times hes runnin. He can't say well if i was at sea level i'd be quicker.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:19 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Josh95gt

ORIGINAL: tinman

If you were at either of the strips in the Phoenix,Az area you aere at about 1450' above sea level and my guess would be the air density was about 3000'.
So, car is slower by .20-.30 than it would have been at sea level.
Fix timing/misfire/get tires.
I'd stay out of AMP if I were you.........

Does that really matter, cause if hes at 1450' then thats the times hes runnin. He can't say well if i was at sea level i'd be quicker.
Sure he can
Old 12-18-2006, 02:13 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

All I can say is you should of been faster than that. Another thing, just because it's an auto doesn't mean it can't be launched. There is some type of weird *** loop hole in the autos set up where if you do a D-2-D shift set you'll gain a huge power boost off the line, so the way you launch will deffinitly effect your times. Another thing, the 24lb injectors shouldn't make much of a difference as long as the car was tuned. Last time I checked you only use the full amount of fuel from an injector when you hit a certain RPM, in other words 19lbers are good to roughly 280hp, 24lbs 350-375 hp, 30lbs 425-450, etc, but when in normal driving a 42lb injector shouldn't use anymore than a stock injector because you're still taking in the same amount of air as you used to, but that's just the way I've understood it, if it's wrong please let me know.

Also my sn-95 5.0L did pretty damn well on my last trip to the dyno, so the BS that they don't like mods is just that, BS, they're the same freeking engine as the older models except for the intake setup. Now maybe the foxs respond a hair bit better but I don't forsee it being anything drastic. Just my 2 cents though.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:25 PM
Fastman
2nd Gear Member

hmm thanks for the 2 cents
ORIGINAL: jthorn9

All I can say is you should of been faster than that. Another thing, just because it's an auto doesn't mean it can't be launched. There is some type of weird *** loop hole in the autos set up where if you do a D-2-D shift set you'll gain a huge power boost off the line, so the way you launch will deffinitly effect your times. Another thing, the 24lb injectors shouldn't make much of a difference as long as the car was tuned. Last time I checked you only use the full amount of fuel from an injector when you hit a certain RPM, in other words 19lbers are good to roughly 280hp, 24lbs 350-375 hp, 30lbs 425-450, etc, but when in normal driving a 42lb injector shouldn't use anymore than a stock injector because you're still taking in the same amount of air as you used to, but that's just the way I've understood it, if it's wrong please let me know.

Also my sn-95 5.0L did pretty damn well on my last trip to the dyno, so the BS that they don't like mods is just that, BS, they're the same freeking engine as the older models except for the intake setup. Now maybe the foxs respond a hair bit better but I don't forsee it being anything drastic. Just my 2 cents though.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:29 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

I was referring to the computer not the motor...
Old 12-18-2006, 05:43 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chicogotgreen

but with bigger tires, the torque the engine puts on the ground is decreased quite a bit. Its the exact same thing as gearing the car up to make it go faster because that means that the engine doesnt have to turn as much, that doesnt just work for every car becuase it kills power as well. Unless he was running out of gear REAL quick, tire size has nothing to do with it. Increasing tire size does the same as swaping for larger gearing (by larger gearing, i mean gearing that would cause i higher top speed). Its all about getting power to the track efficiently. If your gearing is to low and your running out of gears pretty quickly or your spending just as much time shifting as you are accelerating, then yes, larger tires will help you ALOT. But, if he has stock gearing, his undersized tires may actualy be benificial. I dont know the details of his car, but you cant just say that there is one specific range of tire sizes that are good for all cars, the size that works best on each car is entirely dependent on how the car is geared.

That said, you may be absolutely right and it is the problem that his gearing is to low, but it is pretty off to claim that overall one tire size is better than another. If you take other factors into consideration, such as speedo accuracy and wear, then yah, there might be a tire size that is better in the long run, but from a performance stand point i dont really think you can acurately say that.
chico you are pretty much completely backwards on everything you said
Old 12-19-2006, 05:55 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88blackgt

ORIGINAL: chicogotgreen

but with bigger tires, the torque the engine puts on the ground is decreased quite a bit. Its the exact same thing as gearing the car up to make it go faster because that means that the engine doesnt have to turn as much, that doesnt just work for every car becuase it kills power as well. Unless he was running out of gear REAL quick, tire size has nothing to do with it. Increasing tire size does the same as swaping for larger gearing (by larger gearing, i mean gearing that would cause i higher top speed). Its all about getting power to the track efficiently. If your gearing is to low and your running out of gears pretty quickly or your spending just as much time shifting as you are accelerating, then yes, larger tires will help you ALOT. But, if he has stock gearing, his undersized tires may actualy be benificial. I dont know the details of his car, but you cant just say that there is one specific range of tire sizes that are good for all cars, the size that works best on each car is entirely dependent on how the car is geared.

That said, you may be absolutely right and it is the problem that his gearing is to low, but it is pretty off to claim that overall one tire size is better than another. If you take other factors into consideration, such as speedo accuracy and wear, then yah, there might be a tire size that is better in the long run, but from a performance stand point i dont really think you can acurately say that.
chico you are pretty much completely backwards on everything you said
I thought he was correct in saying that smaller diameter tires allow quicker acceleration, in the same way that numerically higher gearing does. But then, like Cobain said, maybe I'm dumb. Seriously though, if you look at those tire size/gear ratio/rpm calculators, they show that the taller the tire, the lower the rpms are, relative to a given speed...just like with numerically lower gears.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:34 AM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

a taller tire is like having numericly higher gears, fewer revolutions to cover the same distance

it usually comes into play when you are running out of gear, as people go from a 28 inch tall to a 26 for example

in this case though, using a taller tire would be like putting gears in, but probably to a smaller degree

Quick Reply: guess mods don't make your car faster..