5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

BEAST of a clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 01:59 PM
kennyh

Default BEAST of a clutch...

Another question about a '91 5.0 i test drove....

The fella that owns it put in some clutch (he couldn't remember what off the top of his head, might be able to find out though.) that is a "very heavy duty clutch". When you press on the pedal it take more pressure to engage the clutch than it does to use the brakes hard. This pedal is so stiff it feels like you're just pushing on the floor. It WORKS great... but i've never felt anything like that before. Is this something normal with "heavy duty clutches"? My buddy that was with me said it's for limited slip (he knows a lot more than meabout aftermarket parts but he's no mechanic.)

any info you can provide would be very helpful...
Old 12-19-2006, 02:30 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: BEAST of a clutch...

never heard of a limited slip clutch... normaly heavy duty clutches take more effort to press, however a stiff clutch pedel could also mean that the throw out bearing retainer is worn out and cause ALOT of friction on the throwout bearing... if it's the clutch that is indeed that firm the DAMN that thing should about anything you throw at it, or you just need to work out more
Old 12-19-2006, 02:37 PM
SmokeRicers
1st Gear Member

ive got a fordracing clutch. and ya it takes alot more force to push it down. I dont know if its as hard as yours was bu it is definitely alot stiffer than than any stock mustang ive driven.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:48 PM
kennyh

How much trouble would a worn outthrow out bearing retainer be?
Honestly, i don't even know what that is... i'm looking at this car to be a project for me to learn with.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Edge_of_Sanity
2nd Gear Member

Yeah it's cause the pressure plates are stronger, that's why it's harder to push down. If it's not slipping, I would'nt bother with it.But if you do,You might want to replace the whole clutch, instead of just the throwout bearing, as it usually comes with the new clutch since you have to do the same job to get to the damn thing which invlolves dropping the trans.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:57 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

potentialy it could cause the throwout bearing to not move anymore (not allowing the clutch to disengage) if it gets to bad it could cause the clutch cable to stretch or snap... the bearing retainer is what the throwout bearing rides on... it also houses needle bearings for the input shaft... the retainer going bad won't cause transmissions failure but it will make your leg real sore lol as long with the potential cable problems... i had the ford racing clutch stated above and it was pretty stiff, switched to a centerforce and it grabs tons better and is less effort (faster shifts)...
Old 12-19-2006, 02:59 PM
ModularFox
Banned

i have a king cobra HD clutch and its hard as ***** to press in. ive already broke 2 clutch cables with it, but it works like a champ and doesnt slip at all.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:01 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

i agree to an extent. usualy the throw out bearing is replaced with the clutch... but if you have HD clutch and the throwout bearing goes bad y replace the clutch if it works fine? i know in my situation i would rather spend the 1 1/2 hours to change my clutch later than to spen 700-900$ when it's not needed... but on the same tocken if you do the throw out bearing you should take the clutch off and inspect it... just make sure to but the pressure plate on in the same position it came off.. best way to make sure you do this correctly is to make both the flywheel and the pressure plate
ORIGINAL: Edge_of_Sanity

Yeah it's cause the pressure plates are stronger, that's why it's harder to push down. If it's not slipping, I would'nt bother with it.But if you do,You might want to replace the whole clutch, instead of just the throwout bearing, as it usually comes with the new clutch since you have to do the same job to get to the damn thing which invlolves dropping the trans.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:03 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

thats y i don't suggest the king cobra... the center force i have grab alot better and is easier to press... i had the same problem with my king cobra broke 2 cables in 2500 miles... killed the clutch in 3000... the centerforce now has 15000 on it and gets a harder beating that the cobra ever did...
ORIGINAL: ModularFox

i have a king cobra HD clutch and its hard as ***** to press in. ive already broke 2 clutch cables with it, but it works like a champ and doesnt slip at all.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Edge_of_Sanity
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94gtcoupe

i agree to an extent. usualy the throw out bearing is replaced with the clutch... but if you have HD clutch and the throwout bearing goes bad y replace the clutch if it works fine? i know in my situation i would rather spend the 1 1/2 hours to change my clutch later than to spen 700-900$ when it's not needed... but on the same tocken if you do the throw out bearing you should take the clutch off and inspect it... just make sure to but the pressure plate on in the same position it came off.. best way to make sure you do this correctly is to make both the flywheel and the pressure plate
ORIGINAL: Edge_of_Sanity

Oh yeah, but it should all be taken apart and inspected, that's all. Usually by the time the throwout bearing is bad the clutch is soon after anyway, why do the job twice.

Quick Reply: BEAST of a clutch...