5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Flowtech shortie headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 11:18 AM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Flowtech shortie headers

haha i had the same thing with my Mac headers they were a bitch i had to take off the sterring shaft so they could go in and now the stearing shaft goes through the closter of pipes. pretty much had to do the same thing as roundman. Roundman were your long tube? Long tube headers are great but they suck up space and are a bitch to put in.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:48 AM
StangMang
5th Gear Member

man that sucks....anyone know what the best shorty headers are to get?
Old 09-14-2004, 01:22 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LOVEMY88GT

haha i had the same thing with my Mac headers they were a bitch i had to take off the sterring shaft so they could go in and now the stearing shaft goes through the closter of pipes. pretty much had to do the same thing as roundman. Roundman were your long tube? Long tube headers are great but they suck up space and are a bitch to put in.
No, mine were shorties, but equal length ones. and it only took a small little dent to get the clearance I needed with the stock motor mounts. good thing I changed to the solid mounts as the new steering shaft with the manual Flaming River rack and pinion steering I added is much fatter but it still clears the headers.
My MAC headers still look really good, so I would recommend them to anyone.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:39 AM
90LX50
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roundman

ORIGINAL: 90LX50

ORIGINAL: vfast

his denist will love him for it with his teeth chatting at stoplight..and by the way I like salt on fresh meat
LOL, thanks i can feel the burn as i type. You know, with all the people on here i see from Richmond, you'd think someone would offer to help a fellow mustang owner out ***Hint hint***
so what you want us to do, come over and install the s**t for you or something??? LOL
Gee Sarge, would you? <---- From Aliens LOL Of course not, but some assistance would be cool.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:42 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

Not to get off topic but hey roundy, about those motormounts. Does it have any negative effects on anything lifting the motor up 1/2 an inch? Seems like it would throw somthing out of wack or whatever to me. I want some solid motor mounts and Im gonna be installing long tubes, would the moroso motor mounts be a good idea?
Old 09-15-2004, 03:10 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

mines a drag only car, so I can't really say I would put solid mounts on a primarily street driven car. they do provide a vibration break between the engine and chassis so you don't get the vibration throughout the car from the engine. certain frequencies of vibration can be fatigueing to a driver or pilot, there has been lots of study on this, so I wouldn't really recommend the solid mounts for street use. there's a possiblity that you could be put to sleep by the vibrations on long road trips.
you do need to keep the tranny mount a rubber one if you do go with solid motor mounts and you should also check the pinion angle on the rear end and driveshaft to make sure it doesn't change too much when the engine is raised up slightly by the new mounts.
you should also check the hood clearance to make sure the engine won't be hitting the underside of the hood if it is raised up any.
you should be able to install long tube headers without going to solid motor mounts, they are just a bit harder to install than shorties.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:32 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

FLOW-TECH=Cyclone Headers
Famous for not fitting even 25 years when I learned my lesson-------
Maybe once crap always crap.............
Old 09-15-2004, 10:07 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

I wouldn't used solid mount but would use the poly ones. roundman does care about his teeth anymore..j/k

90lx.....hey dude I'm sure roundman is with me on these will help as much as we can.....

.roundman what is your guess the torgue loss in using rubber mount? about 5hp?
Old 09-15-2004, 10:34 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vfast
I wouldn't used solid mount but would use the poly ones. roundman does care about his teeth anymore..j/k
90lx.....hey dude I'm sure roundman is with me on these will help as much as we can.....

.roundman what is your guess the torgue loss in using rubber mount? about 5hp?
torgue loss? is that some new measurement of something??? LOL and I see it's measured in HP too, not foot-lbs? hahahahaha

I think it has more effect on reaction time than it does on torque or HP since the motor has to twist some first before it hooks up the driveline tight. but with the movement causing some minor misalignment along the driveline, I guess you could lose some HP along the way too! I looked but can't find the times I ran before and after I changed the mounts to solid ones. Minor slip up in my fastidious record keeping I guess! LOL
Old 09-16-2004, 12:32 AM
90LX50
2nd Gear Member

I went ahead and ordered the complete set of Energy Suspension mounts from Jegs and i'm going to shim each side about an 1/8 of an inch to get the header away from the frame.

I also got the March UD pulleys since i'm going to wait on the SC. I hate this rain, i have a ton of cool stuff i want to install on the car, and the rain is screwing me over [:@].

Vfast and Roundman, I appreciate any help i can get, heck at this point just a DRY place to work on my car would be enough...lol

Quick Reply: Flowtech shortie headers