5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Increased vibration after AOD to TKO swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 01:45 PM
Raphs50
2nd Gear Member

Default Increased vibration after AOD to TKO swap

Looking for some suggestions on what might be causing the vibration I am now getting after completing my AOD to TKO 600 swap. The vibration starts about 3000 RPMs and increases as the RPMs go up. It happens with clutch in or out and transmission in gear or neutral. I am guessing it must be related to the new flywheel or pressure plate. I used a Centerforce flywheel (50 oz imbalance)and DF clutch kit, the FRPP bell housing/scatter shieldfor the TKO and used offset dowels to make sure the runout on the bell housing was within .005".

I am thinking maybe the harmonic balancer? It was fine before the swap, but could the increased weight of the flywheel have any effect? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:22 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Increased vibration after AOD to TKO swap

Pilot bearing???
Old 12-21-2006, 02:34 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

NOT going to be a pilot bearing issue. Your damper and flywheel need to work together, so I would say that a balancer is not a bad idea regardless. Isolate your accessory drive by dropping the belt. You may have bound mounts as well. Because it's there in neutral with the clutch disengaged, it must be a 1st order (once every revolution of the crankshaft) or 4th order (four times every revolution of the crankshaft). 1st order vibrations are due to internal balance issues (which you do not have unless there is a chunk of the crank weight in the pan or your oil level is way overfilled) or abad balancer/flywheel/clutch assy. Keep in mind your new stuff could be misbalanced. It is not common but DOES happen. Otherwise, the 4th order is basically natural engine pulses (it takes 2 crank revolutions to hit all 8 cylinders right?) that is felt due to a bound engine/trans/exhaust mount. You can loosen the mounts and/or pry on them while someone sits in the seat and feels for a change. You can always get your hands on an EVA (ideally) and determine exactly what is causing the vibration. TheElectronic Vibration Analyzer willpickup the vibration andclassify it for you. That way you can just attack the possible causes for that particular type of vibration and not waste time neutralizingtrans mounts over a 1st order.........
Old 12-21-2006, 03:02 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

http://www.mustangworks.com/articles...llhousing.html
Old 12-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Raphs50
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about the trans mount as a possibility too. I read conflicting reports on whether or not I needed to get a new trans cross member. I ended up using the existing AOD mount and everything seemed to line up fine and the drive shaft position is the same as it was with the AOD.
I am not familiar with an EVA, but that sounds like the right approach instead of guessing and trying various solutions.

Not sure what the link was for 5IVE.OH. I followed that procedure exactly. I needed .007" offset dowels and was able to get my tolerance to within .002". I tried the Lakewood bellhousing first, but my exhaust wouldn't fit and I didn't want to grind the bellhousing.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:18 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

If not indexed correctly you can have problems with vibration. After researching a little more on the subject I noticed there is a lot of vibration problems associated with the swap, but not a lot of solutions. People are throwing everything out there from u-joints to balancers. there is a vibration in my car as well after I replaced the engine, it's also an RPM related vibration and worsens at about 3k. I'm going to undo my trans mount and see if raising/lowering it eliminates the problem. I know it's not harmonic as I have gone through all those steps to eliminate that already. Drives a guy nuts chasing gremlins.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Raphs50
2nd Gear Member

I am also going to try raising and lowering the trans mount. See if that changes anything. I am worried I could spend a lot of time and effort chasing the problem too. I will aslo check into the Electronic Vibration Analyzer too.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:27 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

I'm not educated on the swap necessities but I think I remember hearing something about the crossmember not being swappable. Was it summit or something......let me do some research.....
Old 12-21-2006, 05:31 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

Yeah our shop is supposed to be getting one as well, but it might be awhile.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:34 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...nsmission.html

Second paragraph says all you need to know!

Quick Reply: Increased vibration after AOD to TKO swap