5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

just got a fox and has low volts..

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 01:40 AM
Mowin8603
3rd Gear Member

Default just got a fox and has low volts..

ok i just got an 87' GT yesterday and it drove away from the guys house just fine, and i killed it once leaving the neighborhood and it started right back up. but i got home, but my plates on it and then it wouldnt start.. since then i have had the battery that was in it tested, it was 2 years old and tested a little low so i got a deal on a better battery and had it put in. this morning i had the alt tested with the new battery in it and it said that it was pushing 13.something volts. it was fine for a while but now tonight its having problems having enough power to start. the guy i bought the car from did say the car has underdrive pulleys on it and he gave me the stock ones, and i found the alt pulley in the box he gave me, and its smaller than the one thats on it right now so im assuming the stock alt pulley was left on the car. now there doesnt seem to be anything electrical running when the car is off so i dont think something is draining it. but when i drive the car the volts stay like one notch away from the red or gets right into the red on the gauge. everyonce and while the interior lights dim a little at idle but once i start moving im good.

what i dont get is if the alt tested fine, and there a new battery thats still good whats the problem?! i do have an electric fan that likes to run when im driving it and after i shut the car off it like to stay on for a minuet or two, but i dont think thats what draining the juce because like i said, the car doesnt fulley recharge when im driving it. bcause isnt the volt gauge saposed to read at about mid way?

foot notes: volts just in the red on the gauge even when driving, have electric fan dont think its the problem, new battery tested good, alt tested good. car doesnt charge while driving, gauge stays right above red.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:43 AM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: just got a fox and has low volts..

my car runs low like that, i have UDP's as well
but no electric fan, everyone says to get a 130amp alternator when you first get the car
so that's what im doing next
Old 12-22-2006, 01:45 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

yah stock alt is 75 amps i believe, not enough to power it brand new
Old 12-22-2006, 03:58 AM
Mowin8603
3rd Gear Member

so you think just getting a 94-95 alt would solve the problem??
Old 12-22-2006, 04:04 AM
93foxgt
3rd Gear Member

HELL YES

That IS the problem. The car needs a 130amp alternator. Switch to the 3g unit. It works BEAUTIFULLY and it looks killer too.

Damn, I wish I could find my pictures.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:05 AM
Mowin8603
3rd Gear Member

3g unit??
Old 12-22-2006, 05:16 AM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

Even with the 75 amp alt the battery should charge after driving anywhere for a while above 2k RPM's. If you have a volt meter, charge the battery (Most auto parts stores will do it for free) back to full. Then put it in and hook everything up, then test the voltage. Should be around 12.5 or so. Then come back in thirty mins, and hour and 1.5 hours. If the voltage is dropping then oyu have a drain somewhere (LIke me right now). You can easily have a drain with nothing on. If you do have a drain I can tell you how to find it. My alt is draining 5.6 volts if I leave it plugged in, but I don't have the money right now to upgrade it, so I am just unplugging it every time I drive the car until after X-mas.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:19 AM
93foxgt
3rd Gear Member

Sorry-

3g= 3rd generation ford alternator. That's the SN-95 unit. It bolts right into the stock bracket with a slight modification (just a slight cut- I did it with a sawzall lol)
The bracket is still as strong as ever.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:26 AM
Mowin8603
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vt89gtvert

Even with the 75 amp alt the battery should charge after driving anywhere for a while above 2k RPM's. If you have a volt meter, charge the battery (Most auto parts stores will do it for free) back to full. Then put it in and hook everything up, then test the voltage. Should be around 12.5 or so. Then come back in thirty mins, and hour and 1.5 hours. If the voltage is dropping then oyu have a drain somewhere (LIke me right now). You can easily have a drain with nothing on. If you do have a drain I can tell you how to find it. My alt is draining 5.6 volts if I leave it plugged in, but I don't have the money right now to upgrade it, so I am just unplugging it every time I drive the car until after X-mas.
i guess it would be smart to try this. but before i bought the car i made sure to have a few hundered bucks in the bank just in case i have to repair a few things, so ill prolly be getting the 3g unit from PA perforamce. comes in what seems like a nice kit. i think its like $170, when a new 130 amp 3g unit from advance auto parts is like $105 or so.. but the PA unit is a full kit for everything you need to make it work on your 2g stock steup. so i think im going to go with it. Thanks guys!!
Old 12-22-2006, 05:31 AM
MACDRIVE
2nd Gear Member

If you think you might have a current drain somewhere, hook an ammeter up to the positive cable and and put the other lead on a ground. Now start pulling fuses one at a time. When you get to the fuse that causes the ammeter to stop showing current draw, that's the circuit with the drain.

Quick Reply: just got a fox and has low volts..