5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1984 6cyl to v8

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 07:12 AM
Montague

Default 1984 6cyl to v8

After a long and tidious time, working and working to help my parents and family. I can get a mustang! A friend asked me today if I would like a coupe mustang, since a 79-93 notch is my dream. Its christmas! Problem is? Its a 6cyl. I've driven one before, and it wasn't that fun to drive around town. I would like to change it over to a V8.

I have read around on the forum on seperate post. But the problem is I don't really have the time, or the experiance and tools, does anyone know a place in Orange County California, that will do a clean change over to a stock, clean engine bayed, V8.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. After completing school I would like to find some more time for car clubs, auto-cross I have found in my friends car to be very fun! But then again to get money to pay for CCW wheels, brakes, etc. I need to finish school first.

I hope I don't get yelled at for posting this, I just need alot of help.
And yes I have seen the 6cyl post, but I really would like a V8, I don't intend to heavily modify or Supercharge the car. I just wanted to get that out of the way.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:14 AM
rwh129
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 1984 6cyl to v8

It would be cheapier to just by a 5.0 gt or lx.
They aren't that expensive now. I'm sure you could get a nice used 1 for 3K-5K.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:17 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

+1
Old 12-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Montague

I tried locating a notch for those years, and have thus far come up unsuccessful. And the price is just about right for right now. Thats why.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:41 PM
bds95stang
2nd Gear Member

im in the process of switchin mine over right now...but its a 95, its too bad you cant do it yourself... is it possible that you have a buddy or something that has the place and tools and would help you out
Old 12-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Montague

Actually I am in luck, after alot of strife and heart ache, I had made the decision to NOT purchase the 6cyl mustang, I was pretty churned inside and out over it, cause Hey its what I have been wanting for some time. When out of the blue my grandfather stops by to drop off fishing gear for my dad, he said when he worked the force they had a few mustangs right before he retired, so happens, his buddy has just the one that came to his mind. A nice little notchy. He told me its miles are pretty high up there, but the guy was a fair old man, lol. And a mustang enthusiast as it may come, he made a few calls, and he said for your grandson Ill do $1,500. I am pretty excited, I heard of SSPs but never really knew much about them really, well until I searched on it.

I am really really excited, and I think all I really need is to freshen up the car, vacum, preasure wash, and a decent paintjob for right now. But wow! I cant believe it. I am so happy! However I am trying to NOT get ahead of myself, if its miles are really that sky rocketed, he has 2 other notches I can look at, we'll see. Anyways thanks to everyone for all the help! and the 2 guys who told me to keep looking!
Old 12-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Montague

Chr_st. I have bad luck. My dad made a move with out me, AND HE PICKED UP the car. I called my grand pa, the other 2 notches are nice but motorless right now. Ghee. And my dad is on a return trip home hahaaha. f_CK.

I hate christmas now.
[:'(][X(][&o][:@]

Gah. I feel like crap. I dont have the time to drop an engine into motorless cars. I didn't know they where motorless. I refered two friends who have time and $ to them...eh. spread the holiday cheer right? Though I get nothing to smile about. heh.

Well I guess since this is my own thread Ill post another question.
Are GTs 5 lugged? I saw on ebay a 20 inch wheeled hatch, what a waste.
But yah. I am torn between notch or hatch now. I actually am taking a liking to the hatches.
What size rear ends did the hatches come with? 7.5? and 8.8?

I find I like the 86 and older 4 eyed look but with the newer rear lights. If I get a pre 87 do the newer rear lights bolt right in?
I guess I am thankful, there seem to be more stick hatches avalible then notches, Id rather have stick.

For me power isnt really the issue, a v8, stock is fine enough for me. Braking and Handling are the biggest issues for me. But then if I end up with a 4 lug car, Id actually like to stay with that, I saw on steedas page those cobra brakes, can I use those with the 4 lugged cars?

Sorry for the large ammounts of questions, but once again I am thankful for all the help guys.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:02 AM
PJB
5th Gear Member

So which car did your dad pick up and why is that a bad thing and why are you still looking?
Old 12-26-2006, 01:07 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

screw the miles.... its just one more reason to put a nice big new powerful motor in it
Old 12-26-2006, 01:29 AM
Montague

I dont have the money to put in a new motor, I just wanted a nice looking dependable daily v8

Quick Reply: 1984 6cyl to v8