5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

shake shake shake

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 04:15 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default shake shake shake

over the past week or so, my check engine light has been flashing on and off for a few seconds at a time, almost the whole time driving. i havnt pulled codes, but whatever it is. its getting worse. i now have a WICKED shake between 1k and 1.5k RPM, not just a vibration, a shake. only in that RPM range though. it feels like a misfire, but i can't think of anything that would cause a misfire only in certain RPM ranges. hmmmm?
Old 12-22-2006, 04:17 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: shake shake shake

Flashing CEL = bad. Sounds like you have a misfire and you could actually be doing some damage.

Usually if you get a flashing CEL, it's an ignition related problemthats the PCM determines is a misfire. It can literally be anything between the ignition coil and the spark plug's electrode resulting in a dropped spark on one or more cylinders.

check for mineralization deposits on the contact points inside the distributor cap and the end of the rotor. Also check the resistance of ALL your cables making sure that it's no more than a couple K ohms per foot per cable. And don't forget to check ALL your spark plugs for need of replacement. You could have some plug damage in the cylinder or cylinders having the problem.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:20 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

its not flashing like 'in-time', like it would in an OBD-II car misfiring. it kinda comes and goes, duration varys.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:22 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Now I'm confused. Is it actually flashing, or is it coming on and then turning itself off after an extended period of time or something like that? As weird as it sounds, there's a difference between a flashing CEL, and a CEL that goes off and on, lol.

Edited for spelling.. cant type today
Old 12-22-2006, 04:27 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

its more less random, except for that for some reason, it comes on at the same points on the same roads. its kinda wierd. but other than that, it will come on for 2 seconds, off for 2 seconds, on for 3, off for 1, stay off for half a mile, then start again. no pattern. the shake is now permanent. CEL or not, it shakes.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:28 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

This happened to me when my MAF got really dirty, try cleaning the MAF wires and see what happens. I'd hook a code reader up to and see what it says.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:40 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

what did you use to clean your MAF? i've heard so many different story's on this.... some people say it will kill it, some people say its fine. i dunno. i do wanna clean it cuz the K&N in there is clogged to high heaven.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:47 PM
pizzarolls
2nd Gear Member

if ur have too clean it use an air nozzle and gently blow air threw it.....no solvents, i heard they damage the element.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:56 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

also i forgot to mention that along with the newly aquired shakes at 1000rpm, it idles at 1050. it looks like i'm packin some motor to the other people.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:17 PM
reduceallpain
2nd Gear Member

i had the same problem.. check engine light would come on for about 2-4 secs and shut off about 10 time on a 5 min trip.. no shaking problem though... maybe the o2 sensors are also bad? I'm not too sure but when i posted about my CEL flashing its what a lot of people said.

Quick Reply: shake shake shake