5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

carbed set up question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 03:01 AM
mhayes2344

Default carbed set up question

A little background info...I bought a 94 mustang gt w/ a 302 in it (was missing the wiring harness,and basically the whole EFI system) so I decided to go carbed instead, as the car will not be a daily driver and it was just easier and cheapier to do. I bought an edelbrock torkerII intake and a holley 600 cfm carb...any idea on how much power I should be expecting to make?
Old 12-24-2006, 03:29 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: carbed set up question

You will loose a lot of low end and gain a couple top end hp. With a mostly stock motor that intake is way to big. I would look into the edlebrock performer air gap.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:00 PM
mhayes2344

yeah...I know its way too big. I am planning on building the engine though...I was just wondering how much power I should expect to be make w/ this setup. I guess the first place to start with the engine is the cam...then heads. Is it true that gt40 heads came in 98 explorers?
Old 12-25-2006, 02:15 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

No, that carb/intake shouldn't be to bad on the stock engine. You'll miss very little on the 'bottom end'.....
Old 12-26-2006, 12:36 AM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

lmao yall need to read a edelbrock catalog,or website..the torqer2 set up is for light cars,and the rpm intake beats the torqer any day as well as all otheres up to like 5800 rpms then like the vic jrs takes over..all mags have had shoot outs and the rpm is king of street ...just by a few hp but every lil hp helps..torqer loses alotta low end torq vs rpm too..if ya get the cam,carb,intake ya will usually get about 30-40 hp edelbrock says.. make sure ya pistons will tke a larger cam..and ya will need a stall to usually.. when i put a perf set up not rpm justa perf cam,carb 600, intake 2121 i made 190 rwhp in a lb f100 and 246bs torq.. motor was 210 factory i think..at fly..
Old 12-26-2006, 12:59 AM
deadcarnahans
3rd Gear Member

I don't know what was the worse choice. The Holley, or the T II.
Performer or Performer RPM with an EDL carb would be a much better option.
You should have posted before you spent any money.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:31 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Ford used a Holley as the original equipment. If they were that bad, they wouldn't have used it.
Torker is is 30 year old design too but it still works fine...
Old 12-27-2006, 12:46 AM
bdwjdw
2nd Gear Member

IMO Edelbrocks are for people who don't know how to tune a carb. A holley carb is the way to go!
Old 12-27-2006, 12:48 AM
mhayes2344

I paid $300 for the carb, intake, air cleaner, and holley blue pump....I dont think that's too bad of a deal. I know I should have gone with a different intake...or at least should have looked into it more, but I figured the intake was decent enough. One things for sure...Im learning a lot.

My new dilemma is the distributor...The mustang started as av6, the previous owner blew the 6 up and started on a v8 swap. So the 302 is out of a '92 truck....I have no wiring so Iguess I need to go with a vaccuum advance distributor -- is this even possible? I know there's certain gears on the distributor that work with certain cams...and im pretty much lost on that... Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I have a distributor off a carburated 351...if I took the cam out of it and put it in my 302, would that work?

sorry if these are dumb questions...Im just lost at this point. I wouldnt even be bothering with the car but I got a killer deal on it. When I'm done with everything I expect to have $2000-2500 in it, including the car.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:02 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mhayes2344

I paid $300 for the carb, intake, air cleaner, and holley blue pump....I dont think that's too bad of a deal. I know I should have gone with a different intake...or at least should have looked into it more, but I figured the intake was decent enough. One things for sure...Im learning a lot.

My new dilemma is the distributor...The mustang started as av6, the previous owner blew the 6 up and started on a v8 swap. So the 302 is out of a '92 truck....I have no wiring so Iguess I need to go with a vaccuum advance distributor -- is this even possible? I know there's certain gears on the distributor that work with certain cams...and im pretty much lost on that... Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I have a distributor off a carburated 351...if I took the cam out of it and put it in my 302, would that work?

sorry if these are dumb questions...Im just lost at this point. I wouldnt even be bothering with the car but I got a killer deal on it. When I'm done with everything I expect to have $2000-2500 in it, including the car.
Go to a napa and tell them you want a distributer for a 1985 mustang gt w/ a steel gear. Then all you need is msd 6al box to use as the ignition. Msd makes a harness to connect them but really its only 2 wires you have to splice together and really requires no effort to setup.

Quick Reply: carbed set up question