5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Common problems`

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 12:45 AM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

Default Common problems`

Hey all. tomorrow im going to look at a 5.0 GT and from what i heard its 3500, which is a low price, so if theres nothing visibly wrong with it, when i test drive it what are some common promblems I should look for?
Old 09-16-2004, 12:47 AM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Common problems`

crap.. i always do thislol I forgot to mention the year, it is a 94
Old 09-16-2004, 12:51 AM
90LX50
2nd Gear Member

If you have a mechanic you trust, ask the guy thats selling it he minds letting your mechanic give it a once over.

If he baulks at that idea, RUN..., if he accepts, let you mech. take a look and go by what he finds to base you purchasing decision.

Hopefully it's a good deal and you go home with a mustang.

Good luck
Old 09-16-2004, 04:24 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

what ^^ said. good luck.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:18 AM
92BOOSTED
3rd Gear Member

I would take someone with you that knows about cars(i'm not implying that you dont).
But it helps because he/she has a neutral opinion and not afraid to speak up about what he/she says.

I hope it's not too good to be true and you like it.good luck

Rye
Old 09-16-2004, 09:48 AM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

Well when you take it for a test drive see how the tranny feels. Also take off fast somewhere and see if any kind of smoke comes out. If it is black smoke then dont worry you were just goosin it but if it is blue then that engine is goin to need to be changed in a few years or so. Look under the car for rust. See where the clutch grabs. It should grab around halfway. Check miles. And if all that seems to be good try to get low on the price. Say 3000 and see how it goes from there. Hope all goes well!!

~Nick
Old 09-16-2004, 02:20 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

every one has given good advise , though about the white smog....it may be just that its leaking coolant into the combustion chamber cause the intake manifold gasket is old. just something to think about. defenitely go with some one who knows a lot about cars and ask if the guy would let you take it to a mechanic. even if you dont want to take it, just ask him if you can and see if hes willing to let you. if hes willing to let you, most likely he has nothing to hide
Old 09-16-2004, 03:04 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

do all of the above and also look under the hood for mods and the general appearance of things under the hood. if the engine is all dirty and the rubber parts like hoses and wires look really old, the car probably has not been well cared for, so be even more skeptical of it if the guy balks at letting a mechanic look at it. also pull the engine oil dipstick and look at and smell the oil to see if it looks normal and do the same thing if it has an auto tranny too. ask lots of questions too about how the car has been driven and maintained and ask to see the maintenance records for it if they are available. if nothing else, this will fool the seller into thinking you know what you're doing and give you a better shot at negotiating a lower price for it. good luck in your search and don't necessarily buy the first one you get a chance to look at, take your time and you will be happier in the long run with a better car. doing a carfax search on a good candidate is worth the $20 bucks or so it costs also and could save you some real grief too.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:42 AM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

what ^^ said.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:22 AM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

well i went and looked at it.. it was a v6 but it was standard and thats what i really want. What do u guys think, would it be stupid to take this carand turn it into a GT in a few years. First off by doing an engine swap, and a bunch of other goodies. what is your opinion on that idea?

Eric

Quick Reply: Common problems`