5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

pictures of my 86 gt with t-tops

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 03:39 AM
95gtdrop
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: pictures of my 86 gt with t-tops

i love the t top wit the newer front end put on it.
hella clean
Old 12-28-2006, 10:54 AM
mobileaudio219
1st Gear Member

I'm going to keep the red interior, its just to clean to change out. I want to repaint it white with the flat black hood stripe and trim...

I'm going out today to pull the motor and transmission out of the 87. I figured I will tear the motor apart and see what it looks like, if it checks out ok I'm going to put it back together with new seals and gaskters, shoot some engine paint on it and toss it in. I really wanted to build up the motor before putting it, switch the heads and intake over to the gt 40 stuff and toss in a e303 cam. But I dont want to mess with switching the car over to mass air right now, so thats why its going back stock... Next summer I want to build another motor up and toss it in, but for I'll just work with what I got.

Oh, and I plan to go waste the tires on the 87 before pulling the motor and trans, I'll get a video...
Old 12-28-2006, 11:01 AM
georgiaguy246
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mobileaudio219

I'm going to keep the red interior, its just to clean to change out. I want to repaint it white with the flat black hood stripe and trim...

I'm going out today to pull the motor and transmission out of the 87. I figured I will tear the motor apart and see what it looks like, if it checks out ok I'm going to put it back together with new seals and gaskters, shoot some engine paint on it and toss it in. I really wanted to build up the motor before putting it, switch the heads and intake over to the gt 40 stuff and toss in a e303 cam. But I dont want to mess with switching the car over to mass air right now, so thats why its going back stock... Next summer I want to build another motor up and toss it in, but for I'll just work with what I got.

Oh, and I plan to go waste the tires on the 87 before pulling the motor and trans, I'll get a video...
very good idea!
Old 12-28-2006, 11:22 AM
87 STANG
2nd Gear Member

Nice project car
Old 12-29-2006, 11:33 PM
mobileaudio219
1st Gear Member

I got the motor and trans out yesterday. today I went over and started tearing the motor down but started feeling sick so I left.

Quick question. The tranny needs some tlc, its wanting to pop out of first gear when its cold. Theres a new mustang shop in town (and wow do they do nice work) that has a rebuilt t5 for 800, he said he'd some off if I wanted to trade in mine. I'm surpose to go in tomorrow and see how much he'll knock off exactly, but I'm hoping alot.. haha... How much do you guys think that tranny should be worth if I give him mine in trade?

Also, if I build the engine with the gt40 x heads and intake and a ford racing e303 cam can I send my speed density computer off to get it burnt or does that usually not get the desired results? Theres no perfomance shops anywere near me that i know of... Im about an hour west off st.louis missouri (im in sullivan), anybody know of any good shops around here that and do a custom tune?
Old 12-30-2006, 12:58 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

sweet looking project man i like the stripe kit its different
Old 12-30-2006, 01:19 AM
Li0nHart
3rd Gear Member

"Well a small tornado came thru and carried the hood a few hundred yards, needless to say it suffered a little bit of damamge."

Darn those pesky tornadoes...

Awesome project though
Old 12-30-2006, 01:48 AM
mobileaudio219
1st Gear Member

haha, yeah those tornados can be a real b*tch.

I went into the mustang shop to see how much they would charge to weld in subframe connectors. He said for the labor it would be between 75 and 150 bucks.. He said he recommended the full lenghts with the seat bolt surport. He can get bbk's for 120 bucks, and said they charged 75 bucks an hour it usually takes an hour but never longer than 2.

He said he had a freshly rebuilt t5 for 800 bucks. He said if I wanted to trade in my old one he would knock some off that price, but said he'd have to call his tranny guy to find out, so I go back tomorrow to see....

They do sweet work. They had a couple really nice fox bodies they were working on, but they mostly do gt 500 and mach 1's, the high dollar cars.

heres their website. http://www.gatewayclassicmustang.com/about.php
Old 12-31-2006, 05:44 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

$800 is alot for a rebuilt transmission. When I worked at a transmission shop it was only about $500-600 for a rebuild if you brought it in (shop didnt pull it). We would usually take the core and give the customer a rebuilt one we had on the shelf if there was one or just rebuild the one that the customer brought in. I never saw a carry in rebuild cost $800.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:07 PM
mobileaudio219
1st Gear Member

thanks for the advice. my uncle owns a shop and has rebuilt a ton of manual trannys (alot of power strokes), he said he'd do it for free if I bought the parts, so Im going to take him up on that. It should be around 200 for the kit so thats pretty good.

Quick Reply: pictures of my 86 gt with t-tops