5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Starter/Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

Default Starter/Alternator

So I was driving around and some Integra wanted to mess with me and I stepped on it. I noticed the AMP light came on and then it went off. I thought nothing of it until it stayed on and my battery meter went all the way down to right above the red. I get to my destination and stopped the car. I go to start it back up and nothing, it just grinds. I call my brother to come and get me (he is a mechanic). We finally get it started by him banging on the starter. We then took it to his shop.

My question is whould the starter effect the alternator in any way? I found the receipt for the alternator in the mustang and it was bought new in August. I figure I will need a new starter, it just spins and spins.

Swirl
Old 12-28-2006, 01:21 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Starter/Alternator

If the starter is crap when your trying to start you can drain the battery. But I believe the alternator charges the battery, the battery holds the charge, and then the battery jumps the starter when you turn the ignition, so I don't think so, they are in series. [&:]
Old 12-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Edge_of_Sanity
2nd Gear Member

If something is grounding on something else, you might have a weird problem like that. Check all your cables. If theyre fine, check the voltage regulator on your alternator before replacing the whole thing
Old 12-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

My brother is going to check all of that. I have the receipt for the alternator, and I think it's still under warrenty.

Swirl