5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

king cobra clutch or not..help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 01:52 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: If you installed a king cobra clutch..

i think it all depends on if you get a bad or good one out of the bunch in oth cases
ORIGINAL: frdmstng1986GT

ORIGINAL: 89Ford

ORIGINAL: 94gtcoupe

+1 on the center force... hell +1 on anything but a cobra lol
ORIGINAL: SSKiller

Should have bought a centerforce......
there is nothing wrong with a king cobra clutch
i got a king cobra clutch and thought it was nice but i only drove on it for like 50 miles before i took the car off the road for paint and bodywork... and i also have heard a few bad things about centerforce clutches.. i guess they are either hit or miss.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:57 AM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

i think it all depends on how well you drive
Old 12-29-2006, 02:06 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

i donno i drive the centerforce harder than the cobra ever seen
Old 12-29-2006, 02:15 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

i think the big diff is howoften you have to shift.

i get stuck on the freeway often, i can't imagine shifting that much a CF clutch.

my king cobra is fine, i spray 100 on cheater slicks and don't slip at all.

if you smoked one in 3k miles, you probably didn't let it break in, and/or the stock quadrant was out of adjustment. i killed a MS clutch that way, from the stock quadrant (i also went to the track and raced about 6 times on fresh clutch from the day b4) but the stiffness made the plastic quadrant keep slacking off, so it was not fully disengaging and smoked it quick
Old 12-29-2006, 02:21 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

the cobra clutch had the same set up as the center force.... steeda double hook quad. adjustale cable, and a firewall adjuster... and i broke it in for about 1500 miles let the centerforce break in for 1700 (i was on the high way for 200 miles lol) and with the exception of the 200 miles on the highway they both seen the same driving conditions... me stoping every chance i get and raping the **** out of the tires/clutch and tranny lol... i think i prolly just got a defect clutch or pressure plate
ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

i think the big diff is howoften you have to shift.

i get stuck on the freeway often, i can't imagine shifting that much a CF clutch.

my king cobra is fine, i spray 100 on cheater slicks and don't slip at all.

if you smoked one in 3k miles, you probably didn't let it break in, and/or the stock quadrant was out of adjustment. i killed a MS clutch that way, from the stock quadrant (i also went to the track and raced about 6 times on fresh clutch from the day b4) but the stiffness made the plastic quadrant keep slacking off, so it was not fully disengaging and smoked it quick
Old 12-29-2006, 02:32 AM
reduceallpain
2nd Gear Member

"A REAL KING COBRA WILL HAVE A NOTCHED GROOVE INDENTED INTO THE PRESSUE PLATE FINGERS" I copied that from an ebay listing

right... thats the one i bought it from.. the seller is dynamicracingproducts or something... i read on another site that some guy had bought a clutch from the same seller and when they got it it was really a Valeo clutch... never heard of it.. it had what the king cobra should have about the ridges.. If you have time heres is the link take a look and see what people said.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...lp-vt1377.html

Old 12-29-2006, 02:34 AM
reduceallpain
2nd Gear Member

modded mustangs are for the ******** no space
Old 12-29-2006, 02:54 AM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: reduceallpain

"A REAL KING COBRA WILL HAVE A NOTCHED GROOVE INDENTED INTO THE PRESSUE PLATE FINGERS" I copied that from an ebay listing

right... thats the one i bought it from.. the seller is dynamicracingproducts or something... i read on another site that some guy had bought a clutch from the same seller and when they got it it was really a Valeo clutch... never heard of it.. it had what the king cobra should have about the ridges.. If you have time heres is the link take a look and see what people said.

I read from the link you posted that valeo makes king cobra clutches
Old 12-29-2006, 03:01 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

i thought that too but i didn't wanna say anything with info to back me up

Old 12-29-2006, 03:07 AM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

Youre right, they do. my king cobraclutchdisk had a valeo stamp on it and as did my king cobra pressure plate.

Quick Reply: king cobra clutch or not..help