5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

351 drivetain and handling questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 12:39 AM
Redrider69
2nd Gear Member

Default 351 drivetain and handling questions

Hey, ok well I Im putting the 351w in my 1994 Mustang Gt Convert.

First is the tranny, I cant afford to put a tko500 in right now, so im gonna have to work with the T-5, I guess Ill rebuild it, and use it, if you guys can show me some good parts to get to beef it up a bit.

Next the driveshaft,I figured I would get the ford racing aluminum driveshaft.

What about the rear end, im not sure what the car has, im guessing an 8.8, also could someone explain to me what a spline is, i know the 7.5 is a 28 spline and the 8.8 is a 31 spline, but could someone let me know what exactly that is and what it does.

Anyway, what should i do about the rear end, can the stock diff handle the power, what about the axles?

Ok since I have the convert., im worse off then you coupe guys. To tighten the frame up, I though I would go with the Saleen roll bar, a set of sub-frame connectors, I was also thinking about a set of Traction bars too. Let me know what else you guys think to stiffen it up, I guess sway bars and other thing are out there that im not aware of.

What should I do about the spring, I want to lower the car 1 1/2 to 2 inchs, what springs shouldI get?

Sorry forso many questions, but you guys are a bighelp, thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:46 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: 351 drivetain and handling questions

ORIGINAL: Redrider69

Why?
First is the tranny, I cant afford to put a tko500 in right now, so im gonna have to work with the T-5, I guess Ill rebuild it, and use it, if you guys can show me some good parts to get to beef it up a bit.
If you cant afford a tranny, you shouldnt do the swap. The 351w will eat up that trans in no time.

You cant afford a transmission and your gonna waste $300 on a part you dont need?

What about the rear end, im not sure what the car has, im guessing an 8.8, also could someone explain to me what a spline is, i know the 7.5 is a 28 spline and the 8.8 is a 31 spline, but could someone let me know what exactly that is and what it does.
wow... you couldnt be more misinformed here.... ALL v8 stangs from 86-present run 8.8" rear axles. All 86-98 are 28 spline.
You can get an explorer trac-lok diff which is 31 spline and then buy aftermarket axles.... which is exactly what im doing.

Anyway, whay should i do about the rear end, cam the stock diff handle the power, what about the axles?
its cheap insurance, would you band a girl with STD's without a condom?

Ok since I have the convert., i guess im worse off the you coupe guys. To tighten the frame up, I though I would go with the Saleen roll bar, a set of bbk sub-frame connectors, I was also thinking about a set of Traction bars too. Let me know what else you guys thing to stiffen it up, I guess sway bars and other thing are out there.
Visit www.maximummotorsports.com and learn about suspension. You need lower control arms, subframe connectors, front k-member wouldnt be a bad idea...

What should I do about the spring, I want to lower the car 1 1/2 to 2 inchs, what springs shouldI get?
H&R super sport springs....

I hate typing!!!
Old 12-31-2006, 01:06 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

hes right and with the right control arms you can lower and raise the car. also battle boxes should be considered. thats why i always tell everyone if you dont build the car around the motor you will just chase parts failing until something goes bad in the motor and you never catch up. its just assonite to do it the way your thinking. what just to say hey im running a 351 in this car. [:@]ok calm down its ok iceman your just repeating yourself again..........!!!![:-][:-][:-]thats it breath!!
Old 12-31-2006, 01:11 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

I personally think you should do everything you need FOR the 351before you actually drop it in..replace your trans first... besides... the TKO will bolt to both the 302 and 351
Old 12-31-2006, 03:34 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Anyway, what should i do about the rear end, can the stock diff handle the power, what about the axles?

Ok since I have the convert., im worse off then you coupe guys. To tighten the frame up, I though I would go with the Saleen roll bar, a set of sub-frame connectors, I was also thinking about a set of Traction bars too. Let me know what else you guys think to stiffen it up, I guess sway bars and other thing are out there that im not aware of.

No, the T5 won't last forever behind a 351w, but how long it lasts will depend on how you drive it and (to a lesser extent) how much power the 351w will be making.

I was able to get ~ 25k miles out of my factory t5, behind a 351w. Actually a majority of those miles were with a 408w, with heads and cam.
My t5 still functions, but it is a little resitent to go into 2nd sometimes.

An 8.8 is a much better option for a 351w, but you should have an 8.8 already.
31 spline would be better.
The spline count is a description of how many 'teeth' are on the end of the axle, which inserts into the Dif. More teeth = More strength (to a point naturally).

Torque Boxes are a sound investment, as if you wait for the them to tear loose, you end up welding the floor of the car back together. Not cool.

Subrame connectors, and a strut tower brace would be nice as well. The strut tower brace may be tricky as some of them won't clear the 351w dist.

I have BBK springs in my 408w GT, and the car sits pretty low. But I was still able to fit 255's in front and 275's in back.

I have a writeup on my website (listed in my sig) for doing a Fox 351w swap. The feedback I am getting from the sn95 guys is that there is very little that is different about doing the swap in an sn95 Mustang.

I cover all the parts that must be changed, along with some alternative options.
Also, you will find a list of recommended modifications to go along with the 351w swap.

Good Luck,
jason
Old 12-31-2006, 03:48 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

I personally think you should do everything you need FOR the 351before you actually drop it in..replace your trans first... besides... the TKO will bolt to both the 302 and 351
definetly +1

better to get everything you need and have a running car until you do the swap
Old 12-31-2006, 04:33 PM
Redrider69
2nd Gear Member

Adder,
my car had a bad head gasket in need of replacing, and it has pre detonation, which was determined to be a carbon build up. So I figured, if im gonna tear it down to replace the gasket, I should put in new pistons and rings, in im gonna do that, i should replace this and that, you know what I mean, so I figured I should buy a long block, and the 351 is only a bit more then the 302, so im getting it.

Like you guys said about building the car before the engine, I have the car in a rental garage, everythings happening at once, im not gonna just put the engine in, the drive it, im going to do it all at once, over the next several months. So maybe I will have enough for a tko by the time its almost done.

Thanks for all the info so far.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:37 PM
Redrider69
2nd Gear Member

Iceman, im not doing it to just say I have a 351, and I inteneded to build the car before it goes anywhere, even before you suggested it. Also what is a battle box?
Old 01-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Redrider69
2nd Gear Member

any other ideas?
Old 01-02-2007, 02:38 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Yes, you can feel the extra weight of the 351 up front when high speed cornering

TKO 600 trans has made me more than happy.

drop it in with headers already on, about impossible to get to those
backbolts with heads higher and wider.

Stock chasis stuff will hold up for a while, but long term needs to be upgraded

Got all my stock shyt on there still and it will wheel hop a little sometimes
but is still plenty fun.

I would focus on making a solid drivetrain behind the engine and then
sometime in near future upgrade the chasis and control arms.

Have fun with hood clearance...................

Quick Reply: 351 drivetain and handling questions