5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

roll cage question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 06:16 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: roll cage question

It really depends on what your needs are. If you just have a 10 second or slower street strip car then a 6 point mild steel roll bar is all you will ever need, faster than that and we start talking 25.5 certs and some pretty big money ($2000-$6000). There are a few decent kits out there but remember that they are pretty generic and will not have the tight, interior hugging quality of a well built custom cage. Install prices are generally dependant on what the material is and what welding process will needed to be used. Chromoly HAS to be TIG welded, TIG is a more time consuming process and requires a lot more skill on the part of the welder. Generally I charge $75 per point on a mild steel kit cage, and $125 for TIG, a full on custom mild steel6 point will run you about $800 plus material costs, add another $100 per point if you want an 8 or 10 point. Remember that a custom cage involves bending and fitting tubes and laying out the cage itself in a design that is both functional and good looking, plus remember all the tools and equipment that the builderhas to buy (welders, benders and notchers are not cheap).I know it seems like a lot but if you want a professional install, my prices are cheap, plus some of the positions I need to contort my self into and still be able to lay a good bead are crazy. Always remember that a cage is meant to save your life, it's not really a place you want to skimp on and have "your buddy who knows how to weld" work on.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:19 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Dunno what part of the country you are in but around here it's costing about $125 per point for rollbar/cage installation.
I've installed a bunch of them and believe me, they are earning there money too.
The best ones that I've put in came from Alston's in Sacramento, Ca. I think they have a web site too.
Fed-Ex can ship them too.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:29 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

Please tell me you aren't doing this just for a cage or to look cool.........Do you really need a cage? Is it going into a daily driver? Also you realize that a cage is used in conjunction with a 5 point harness and a helmet. Just some questions....and some thoughts.

If you dont need it dont get it. Trust me.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:44 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: SSKiller

Please tell me you aren't doing this just for a cage or to look cool.........Do you really need a cage? Is it going into a daily driver? Also you realize that a cage is used in conjunction with a 5 point harness and a helmet. Just some questions....and some thoughts.

If you dont need it dont get it. Trust me.
I have been saying that same thing here for years, but recently I have decided that it's not worth argueing with people anymore.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:49 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

JD1969; You are working too cheap!!!
Old 01-01-2007, 02:04 AM
20yrNotch
1st Gear Member

well, im actually not sure if im going to need it. its not gunna be a daily driver but i am lookin for 440-450rhwp. Plus i dont plan on ever selling this ride so i want it to be able to stand the test of time know what im sayin
Old 01-01-2007, 02:44 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: tinman

JD1969; You are working too cheap!!!
I know, but those are my prices on a side job, done at my house not at work. The upside for the customer is that you get a good price but the downside is that I do this after work and on the weekends so they need to leave me the car for awhile and not bug me too much, for me it works well because I can be picky about whose car I work on. Trust me if I was doing this at my regular job the price would be much higher.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:11 AM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 20yrNotch

well, im actually not sure if im going to need it. its not gunna be a daily driver but i am lookin for 440-450rhwp. Plus i dont plan on ever selling this ride so i want it to be able to stand the test of time know what im sayin
You dont need a cage trust me. If it isgoing to see track duty andis very fastmaybe. The reason I have a cage is becausethe cage came with the car. If it was up to me I would cut the damn thing out of the car. However what I have planned for the car it is going to need it again. If you can get away without a cage do it.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:02 AM
20yrNotch
1st Gear Member

yea but wouldnt 440-450rwhp turn the frame into a pretzel after a few launches?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:42 AM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

Depends on the suspension and tire set up you have. If you have the suspension and tire set up for the that kind of power then MAYBE. The majority of the time with a high horsepower application the supporting mods will fail. Meaning torque boxes, trannies, axles, studs yada yada....will break before the frame twists. If you are looking at that kind of power you need to figure what else you need to upgrade. Major upgrades........tranny, axles, rear end, upper and lower control arms, torque boxes,studs, drive line, u-joints. These are all things you need think about. Also you are starting with the most rigid fox platform. And I am jealous.

By no means am I saying not to get a cage. If it is a daily driver you might want to rethink....for a racecar yes.

Quick Reply: roll cage question