5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I got my car on stand, whats up with this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 06:15 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Default I got my car on stand, whats up with this?

Hey guys, I got my car up on stands, and I cant find what would be making my left rear sag. Nothing is torn, bent or broke. Could it be something as simple as a bad shock? The springs are Eibach, and the shocks are Monroe, which I may need to replace anyway. The ride quality has gotten worse over the last few months, like I dont have and shock at all. Please advise.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:22 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: I got my car on stand, whats up with this?

shock dont support the vehicles weight in any way they control the bounce of the car only how are the rubber insulators that go between the springs and the spring perches? are they there? worn out on the left side?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:27 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

The rubber on the left side looks a little thinner than the right, but they are both in place. What is the best method of removing the springs? I was thinking of replacing them with polyurethane bushings. Could this be the culprit?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Silver88T
1st Gear Member

Someone correct me if im wrong but I think the best way of removing the springs is by removing the nut and washer on top of the shock towers while still on the ground with wheels then jack that puppy up
Old 01-01-2007, 07:17 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Silver88T

Someone correct me if im wrong but I think the best way of removing the springs is by removing the nut and washer on top of the shock towers while still on the ground with wheels then jack that puppy up
Thats how to remove the shock.
Removing the rear springs is easy. Jack the car up and place jackstands on the frame rails(critical). Now put the jack under one of the lower control arms and jack up on it till you put alot of pressure on the spring, now remove the rear lower control arm bolts and let off on the jack. Go slowly or you could possibly have the spring shoot out. Then just pull it out and replace whatever you have too. Putting it back togather might be a little more tricky because the lower control might have shifted and its kind of hard to get everything to line up but a come-a-long is a great tool to have hear. Hope that helps you out.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:21 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

for srpring removel the easy way jack up the car out it on stand on the frame rails, put a jack under the pumkin jack it up remove the shock bolts on the rear, lower the rea the spring will fall out both side at the same time
Old 01-01-2007, 07:38 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Thanks guys, I plan to replace the brakes, shocks and spring islolators next week. I hope this corrects the sagging issue.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:48 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: 4.698GT
Removing the rear springs is easy. Jack the car up and place jackstands on the frame rails(critical). Now put the jack under one of the lower control arms and jack up on it till you put alot of pressure on the spring, now remove the rear lower control arm bolts and let off on the jack. Go slowly or you could possibly have the spring shoot out. Then just pull it out and replace whatever you have too. Putting it back togather might be a little more tricky because the lower control might have shifted and its kind of hard to get everything to line up but a come-a-long is a great tool to have hear. Hope that helps you out.
you must not work on cars very often... if you unbolt the shock then lift the car, the rear end stays in place, and the spring will fall out!
Old 01-01-2007, 09:35 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

you must not work on cars very often... if you unbolt the shock then lift the car, the rear end stays in place, and the spring will fall out!
Work on mine all the time, just never thought to do it that way. learn something new
Old 01-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Silver88T
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

WOOT! Go me! thx for backing me up on this one I knew that was the easiest way of doing it with one jack

Quick Reply: I got my car on stand, whats up with this?