5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

T-5 Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Arno
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: T-5 Removal

ORIGINAL: dimebag

im doin it next weekend i think, i can tell ya how i did it then if u can wait that long.

my plan is to unbolt the mid pipe, drive shaft, and tranny cross member, unbolt the trans, slide it back, and drop her out, and then put the new(rebuilt) one in. should work that way, i can let ya no if anything ****ed up so u can no to look out for that
No rush here, have not ordered the new one from Jegs. Thanks though.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:17 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Arno

ORIGINAL: SSKiller

No....take the bell housing off with the tranny. You will not disturb the clutch because the pressure plate is bolted to the the fly wheel enclosing the clutch.. While you have it off, you can check the conditionof the pressureplate, and clutch. Better to look now and see if you have to replace something then later and do it all over again. Alsothink about getting a new throw out bearing also.
No.....the trans wont come off of the BH? It appears as though only 4 bolts hold it in place. Even if I did remove the BH, it would seem to be easier with the trans out of the way.
Yes it will. When I did my clutch I unbolted it from the bellhousing and just pulled it back and it came right out (clutch, bellhousing, all that good stuff still in place).
Old 01-06-2007, 08:36 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

I agree w/ SSkiller/Adder. I've always removed the tranny w/ the bellhousing attached (i.e. remove it at the block). It's not that difficult if you have 2 people or if you have a floor jack to stick under it.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:48 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: gspfunk

I agree w/ SSkiller/Adder. I've always removed the tranny w/ the bellhousing attached (i.e. remove it at the block). It's not that difficult if you have 2 people or if you have a floor jack to stick under it.
whoa now... i never said he should remove the bell housing with the tranny.. infact, I think its more work than you need to put into it... 4 bolts hold the tranny to the bell housing... just unscrew them and the transmission slides right out... this isnt exactly rocket science...

they are 15mm btw
Old 01-06-2007, 08:50 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

My bad....I've always done it like that so that the input shaft is already run thru the fork and TO bearing.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Arno
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

ORIGINAL: gspfunk

whoa now... i never said he should remove the bell housing with the tranny.. infact, I think its more work than you need to put into it... 4 bolts hold the tranny to the bell housing... just unscrew them and the transmission slides right out... this isnt exactly rocket science...

they are 15mm btw

I hate to actually agree with Adder, but that was all I was asking, Can it be done....
Old 01-06-2007, 10:23 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

just curious, i would assume the input shaft will line up w. the clutch and all prty easy right? as in the splines
Old 01-07-2007, 12:38 AM
Arno
2nd Gear Member

Good question, I would think if everything is not rotated it should be fine.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:21 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

well in dimes case he's gunna have to wiggle the tranny around a lil to get the splines to line up... you proly will to even if things aren't moved... and make sure it's in neutral when putting it in
Old 01-07-2007, 02:55 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i figure itll be easy enough... next weekened i guess[:@] wanted to do it this weekend, but as ya no 94gt, i kinda ran into a few bumps in the road. but should have the heads back from our guy sometime this week, one of my heads is done, so hes gonna make some calls and try to get me one for a good price, if not im gonna pull one off of a 95 at a junk yard. hes gonna check them both for warpage of any kind(which i could do, but he has them), and if there warped at all hell have them fixed, and hes going to do all the valve seals, etc for me too... and the best part... for free. just gotta wait to get it all back, hopefully then thatll be done next sat and the trans can be next sun. hell i wanna get that trans done, the sooner i do that, the sooner i get my core charge back, lol.

Quick Reply: T-5 Removal