5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Kick down hanging

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 04:06 PM
90LX50
2nd Gear Member

Default Kick down hanging

I have an interesting if not aggravating problem. Everytime i stomp the gas on my 5.0 and light up the tires the damn kick down on the AOD tranny hangs. So, I have to pull over, crawl under the car and us a screw driver to unhang it.

Any ideas?? other than just unhooking the linkage from the TB??

I'm gettin pissed over this[:@]

thanks
Old 09-25-2004, 09:43 PM
90LX50
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Kick down hanging

ANYONE??????
Old 09-26-2004, 05:26 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

don't unhook the TV cable from the tranny or it won't shift correctly without the signal it provides to the tranny. get some spray lube like WD40 and see if you can't lube the cable and the lever entering the tranny so they don't stick anymore. some penetrating oil may be needed on the cable beneath the car where it exits the hard housing too. get someone to move the throttle open and closed while you spray the lower cable ends to see if this won't free it up some. if all else fails, get a new cable provided the linkage at the tranny isn't the problem.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:17 AM
90LX50
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Roundman,

I've tried lubing it at both ends, and when i have to unstick it, the cable end on the TB moves freely and extra cable sticks out of the shielding at the TB end.

Then when i use a long screwdriver to dislodge the linkage at the tranny, the excess cable at the TB end goes back into the shielding like it supposed to.

I had a friend fully open and close the TB while i was under the car to observe the tranny linkage, also to lube it, and it seems to be moving freely. It only hangs up when i floor it hard starting from a light or a stop sign.

Can this linkage cable be adjusted so it doesn't pull the kick down lever on the tranny as far as it's pulling it now?

I'm thinking it's the linkage at the tranny, is this a sign of something going bad in the tranny??

Thanks
Old 09-27-2004, 07:16 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I know it's adjustable at the TB end to make the line pressure run higher in the tranny. This moved the max rpm shift point up when you're at WOT, on mine this was about 4,500 rpm. This makes it more fun to drive too.
Have you tried taking the cable loose at the tranny end and moving the lever by hand?? Does it move freely?? If so, I don't think anything is wrong in the tranny, sounds to me like you need to visit a junkyard and find another cable. Or maybe take the cable you have off and hang it straight up from a nail or something and dribble some penetrating lubricant down into it to free it up some more so it won't hang up on itself. It hasn't been kinked up or anything like that has it?
Old 09-27-2004, 07:44 PM
90LX50
2nd Gear Member

Thanks roundman,

I don't think it's the cable, but i AM going to pull it off this weekend and try the tranny linkage by hand to see if it moves freely.

I'll get a new cable if i have to, that's of course if it has a kink, if not i will get some good penetrating lube and do just what you suggested and let the cable hang while spraying lube into it and let it run all the way down the inside of the cable.

The thing that worries me is that it did it again this morning and it took a really good wack with the end of a flashlight to get it to unstick [:@]

This was going home from the alignment shop. AAAARRRRGGG [sm=icon_flaming.gif]

I hope i can fix this without a tranny replacement[sm=smiley13.gif]
Old 09-27-2004, 07:49 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

If it only does it when you floor it, then quit flooring it for a while until you can get under there and check it out man! LOL
I don't think you'll need a tranny replacement, worse case you might have to drop the tranny pan and check out what's attached to the TV cable linkage if it don't move easily when you do get around to checking on it.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:56 PM
90LX50
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roundman

If it only does it when you floor it, then quit flooring it for a while until you can get under there and check it out man! LOL
I don't think you'll need a tranny replacement, worse case you might have to drop the tranny pan and check out what's attached to the TV cable linkage if it don't move easily when you do get around to checking on it.
But it's soooo hard not to floor it...LOL. I'll be checking it out this weekend.

thanks again for the tips.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:14 AM
90LX50
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Kick down hanging....FIXED

I replaced the TV cable and the trans is working fine now.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:57 AM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Kick down hanging....FIXED

also take a look at your motor mounts

Quick Reply: Kick down hanging