5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Heater and a sweet smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 05:50 PM
grumpyphillips
2nd Gear Member

Default Heater and a sweet smell

Whenever i turn on my heater, it smells weird. It has kind of a sweet smell or something. Anyone else ever smell or experience this? Anyone know what it is?

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:56 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Heater and a sweet smell

I have it too. You will begin to notice that your windows start to fog up. You have a leaking heater core. Its common, it sucks and its a PITA to replace. If this is a DD and you live in cold weather - replace it. Otherwise bypass it. Repeat core failure is common with these cars because your block will begin to rust in the water jackets. It happens really often and many people think repeat core failure is due to bad grounds. Electrolysis is a contributing factor but the rust inhibitors in the factory coolant break down quickly. If your car went more than 60k on the stock coolant, its just a matter of time before you begin to trash core after core.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:03 PM
grumpyphillips
2nd Gear Member

So, what do I have to do so that I don't trash core after core? Get a copper one? Rebuild the engine?
I live in FL so I really don't have to replace it but I need to b/c it's my DD and on those rare days that its cold i would need to run the heater (for the passangers).
Old 01-09-2007, 06:12 PM
GreenHornet92
2nd Gear Member

the only thing you can do to fix it is replace it unfortunately. If you by pass it then that is it for a heater. It just sucks to do because you have to take the entire dash out to replace it. I have had to replace mine just once in 15 years so I don't know about the whole repeat failure.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:27 PM
grumpyphillips
2nd Gear Member

So, how much it is going to cost me to take it to a shop and have them replace it. I don't have the time or knowledge to do it myself. My car is my DD, so it has to get done right the first time and in a timely manner.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:29 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

just man up and by pass it, mine is by passed, i keep a hoody in the back for my grl when she rides...
Old 01-09-2007, 06:33 PM
GreenHornet92
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grumpyphillips

So, how much it is going to cost me to take it to a shop and have them replace it. I don't have the time or knowledge to do it myself. My car is my DD, so it has to get done right the first time and in a timely manner.
from what I remember, most shops will quote you a two day job. The say one day for disassemble and one to put everything back in. As for price, depends on what the going rate for hourly labor is. I think the give you a quote of 6 hours but keep it two days. That is what I was told when getting quotes. I did not like the fact they kepts it for two days so I did it myself and took my time. Mine was also not my DD at the time.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:35 PM
grumpyphillips
2nd Gear Member

I can't just bypass it. My nephews ride in the car with me and since they are 4 and 5 they need the heater when it's cold.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:40 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

eh, buy them jackets instead , lol na just bustin ur shyt. im 18 so i just dont care about heat, n rly the only person that bitches about the cold is my friends and my grl, i just tell them that we could take their car instead, usually shuts them up, lol but in ur case a heater core is kinda imp.

buy a chiltons manual, do it urself, unless u dont have the time.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:42 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Cold ?!? You live in FLORIDA BRO!!!

Quick Reply: Heater and a sweet smell