5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Long Tubes vs Shorties

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 10:25 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Long Tubes vs Shorties

ORIGINAL: ckyguy68

Well, im building a 393 and im probably going to get the long tubes. I dont even know if they make shorty headers for the 351w.
Yes they make shorties for the 351W, my BBK swap shorties only cost like $150

Yes, get long tubes, my shorties choked off my power band at 5,200rpm, first thing I'm going
to do is upgrade to LT's and an Anderson 4" inlet Power-Pipe.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:32 AM
Skyler5.0
3rd Gear Member

unless you going to run a turbo system then i would go withLT's if you building a well built motor then its worth the time and money to go LT's,I have a set and im happy. And as far as for a auto cars thats what my car is and i haven't had any probs at all not even with the install .

Might as well spend the money and do it right the 1st time !!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:06 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Blue.... I agree on the dyno facts but

I told ya so... they're going to debate this and give thier opinions regardless of the factual dyno numbers. *shaking head side to side*
Old 01-12-2007, 12:45 PM
aftlcc
1st Gear Member

Wow, ya'll be gettin specific in here. As they said, LT flow more, shorty's look better from the outside and don't hang as low as LT. I think, not sure, I think that shorty's can be mounted to your factory exhaust. Don't quote me on that.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:03 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aftlcc

Wow, ya'll be gettin specific in here. As they said, LT flow more, shorty's look better from the outside and don't hang as low as LT. I think, not sure, I think that shorty's can be mounted to your factory exhaust. Don't quote me on that.
Most people don't run LT's for Daily's b/c of ground clearance issues. They hang a little lower (like a left nut). If you're stang is lowered, then you have even less clearance and can tear chit up in city driving.

As far as power, LT's will provide better power than shorties on any motor. The gains might not be as much on a mostly stock 302 as compared to the gains from a H/C/I 302 or a larger CID motor, but they will still provide better flow/scavenging.

As for shorties not being any good...compare any set of stock headers to adecent brand shorty (BBK, FRPP, etc). Even there you can tell the difference in the diameter of the primaries and the bend/dents in them....better quality too....and yes, aftermarket shorties will bolt up to the stock H.

<==running FRPP shorties on stock H (until I put my Prochamber on this weekend!!)
Old 01-12-2007, 01:42 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aftlcc

Don't post advice if you haven't a clue what your saying! [:@]jackass
Old 01-12-2007, 01:50 PM
CarJway
2nd Gear Member

+1 with LT's over shorties. Now there is a difference; Is the extra horsepower worth it to YOU. The facts are there, and proven. And the install is not hard, lift the front of the engine and slide them in. Big woop, if your worried about the install, then your really not worried about the extra power. So the question comes down to; If your willing to do some extra work...

Oh, and they do hang a little low...
Old 01-12-2007, 02:24 PM
MrMiracle
2nd Gear Member

I don't have an answer, but here's a link to a nice article on the air-flow principles of headers based on pipe length and diameter.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/header_basics/
Old 01-12-2007, 02:38 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Installing headers on an automatic is a whole different ballgame than installing headers on a 5spd lol And it depends on which company you go with...
Old 01-13-2007, 12:10 PM
aftlcc
1st Gear Member

I figured I would add that so somebody who KNEW would be able to say weather it would work or not. My bad for tryin to help someone out. What is makes it different having an automatic than a 5 Speed?

Quick Reply: Long Tubes vs Shorties