5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Computer Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 10:58 AM
disdicbig1
2nd Gear Member

Default Computer Question

I was just wondering whats the best ecu 2 run in a fox body 5.0 im converting mine over from speed density 2 mass air i have a x something but ive heard of a A9P OR A9L so im just wondering what people r running and how much do they go for
Old 01-16-2007, 11:06 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Computer Question

A9L is popular
Old 01-16-2007, 12:25 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

A9L is easy to find and has some of the more aggressive settings.

IF you are going to be using 24lb injectors, then consider the 93 Cobra (X3Z) computer. You will have to purchase the X3Z ecu, 24lb injectors, and a X3Z specific MAF/MAS.
This setup will allow a factory Ford MAF meter (which is much more accurate than the aftermarket), while running 24lb injectors.

If you aren't upgrading the injectors, and will be sticking with the 19lb stock units, then consider using the MAF sensor from a 94-95 Mustang.
Be sure the MAF is a 70mm, and the MAS is numbered 'F2VF' and it will work great with an A9* computer and 19lb injectors.
This has been dyno proven for a couple of hp, 5-7hp at higher rpm's.
There is NO other Ford MAF/MAS setup that can be used on the A9* though.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:28 PM
disdicbig1
2nd Gear Member

I already have that setup isnt installed yet but everyone keeps telling me 2 run a a9p or a9l
Old 01-16-2007, 02:22 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

a9p ftw more agressive fuel and timing compared to the a9l
Old 01-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Mike93SVT
2nd Gear Member

get an anderson pms or xfi, and no need to change computer, just modify it with that
Old 01-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

I have an A9P in mine, works good for me I suppose. Most people have it dyno tuned/chipped or they use their own tuner, like tweecer or PMS to mess with timing curves. So it doesn't really matter which one you have if you are going to chip it or whatever later.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:53 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88blackgt

The ignition timing in the A9P comes on sooner, that is the only difference. Most peoples 'calibrated SOTP meter' won't be able to tell the differenc between the A9P and A9L. Check the WOT vs Spark Advance Function on my site...
http://www.freewebs.com/vristang/a9lvsa9pvsx3z.htm
It is a very large page, so it takes a while to download.

ORIGINAL: disdicbig1

I already have that setup isnt installed yet but everyone keeps telling me 2 run a a9p or a9l
What setup do you have?

If you already have the X3Z, then run that. There is a certain amount of risk you will be taking with the drivability of the car, if you use an aftermarket MAF on the A9* computer. There is no risk with the X3Z, as Ford did a great job of tuning the 93 Cobra.

jason
Old 01-16-2007, 02:56 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vristang

The ignition timing in the A9P comes on sooner, that is the only difference. Most peoples 'calibrated SOTP meter' won't be able to tell the differenc between the A9P and A9L. Check the WOT vs Spark Advance Function on my site...

What setup do you have?

If you already have the X3Z, then run that. There is a certain amount of risk you will be taking with the drivability of the car, if you use an aftermarket MAF on the A9* computer. There is no risk with the X3Z, as Ford did a great job of tuning the 93 Cobra.

jason
saw the tables posted somewhere, must not be remembering correctly.

and for the x3z, i was always under the impression that it was somewhat detuned to pass emissions and wasnt necessarily better than the A9s as far as performance goes; any truth to this?
Old 01-16-2007, 03:12 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vristang

What setup do you have?

jason
saw the tables posted somewhere, must not be remembering correctly.

and for the x3z, i was always under the impression that it was somewhat detuned to pass emissions and wasnt necessarily better than the A9s as far as performance goes; any truth to this?
Any of these computers will deliver very comparable performance. Hp is not a good way of selecting between them.
The advantage of the X3Z is that you can run 24lb injectors on a FACTORY tune. No need for a 'calibrated' maf, which may or may not function properly on your car. The Ford tune is very good.
If you have an automatic, run the A9P, as the timing/fuel tables are more appropriate for an auto.
If you have a manual, run the A9L, as the timing/fuel tables are more appropriate for a t5.
If you want/need 24lb injectors, run the X3Z, as it allows these injectors on a FACTORY tune. This means no drivability or rich idle type issues.

As for the X3Z and emissions.
I have been told (by a seemingly reputable source) that the X3Z was on a very strict schedule when it had to pass emissions. Basically, the car had to pass on the first attempt, or delivery of the Cobra would be delayed. Because of this schedule, there was a fair amount of conservatism built into the X3Z for emissions.
I have not seen any reason for this to limit power though, as most emissions equipment/strategies are disabled during WOT anyway.

just my thoughts,
jason

Quick Reply: Computer Question