5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Driving before a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 01:24 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Default Driving before a tune?

When spring hits this engine is gonna be a new beast, and obviously will need a tune pretty bad. However, I've got brand new gears and a new clutch installed, and want to drive it a bit and give it 200 miles or so to break everything in before stomping on it. Question is, is there any danger in driving it this much without a tune? It would be 200 easy miles, just to get everything broken in...anything wrong with that idea?
Old 01-16-2007, 01:35 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Driving before a tune?

I have been driving mine for 6 months or so since the heads and cam were done...I get worse than normal gas mileage but other than that I haven't noticed anything...except I know that I can get quite a bit more power with a good tune.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:48 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

As long as it's running ok and you don't beat on it you should be OK!!! I def wouldn't go WOT though.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:50 PM
pizzarolls
2nd Gear Member

u just run the chance of going to lean or too rich at WOT.....and we all now where it goes from there.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:24 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LTnone

When spring hits this engine is gonna be a new beast, and obviously will need a tune pretty bad. However, I've got brand new gears and a new clutch installed, and want to drive it a bit and give it 200 miles or so to break everything in before stomping on it. Question is, is there any danger in driving it this much without a tune? It would be 200 easy miles, just to get everything broken in...anything wrong with that idea?
You don't really say what the motor build is so how can we answer this question?

Going on your sig, you are doing a h/c/i, probably with injectors and a MAF?

Let us know exactly what is being done and we can more accurately estimate the risk.

As a general rule...
As long as the MAF, computer, and injectors are all properly matched you should be ok.

jason
Old 01-16-2007, 04:08 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

My fault, I thought it was in the sig, but it isn't... 76maf calibrated for my 30#ers, 70mm TB (probably doesn't matter, but yeah) Twisted Wedge heads, Track Heat intake and Stage 1 cam.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:21 PM
dman302
3rd Gear Member

Stock fuel pressure setting with resonable timing (14-16) and you should be in excellent shape without a tune...however you may find some warm start issues as a result of the 30 pound injectors..a little big but nothing to be concearned over. If you hear any pinging pull out some timing ....though I doubt you will with the current heads.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:03 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

i drove mine forever without a tune. i would have gotten a tune for mine but couldn't afford it
Old 01-16-2007, 05:08 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

you have not listed anything that can harm your motor.

A tune is mandatory after a turbo kit, extreme nitrous kit, and or big blower.

Or if you have 1994 and up 5.0, the Rejective ECM.

In theory, your ECM tunes itself within an allowable table. If you were out of that table , it would not want to run properly. So if its running good, dont expect a big gain out of a tune.

Once out of that table , you need a tune to digitally map you out an entire table

Second lesson- if your tuner is mapping your car using your 02 sensors and they are old and slow responsive, the outcome will not be satisfactory. Often bad 02's, bad MAF's, bad ECM and mismatched set ups are discovered during the tuning .
Third Lesson- one I learned. DONT GET A TUNE , until your done with all your bolt ons
Old 01-16-2007, 05:25 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

my car has never been tuned, and its got a more radical h/c/i and an nx kit. i know theres alot left in it, but it runs hard and im in the middle of getting everything for the turbo kit i'll probably buy.

i'd like to thank God, and the a9l computer for making this possible; without their support i couldnt have done this

Quick Reply: Driving before a tune?