5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Body Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:50 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Default Body Help

Im in the process of sanding down my project car to get her ready for paint... and i got a 3m sanding disk. i hit the fenders down to the metal then i went to get the front bumper and instead of nice shiny metal i see funky yellowish stuff. how am i supposed to sand that stuff down?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:57 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Body Help

well first off you dont have to send it all the way down to bare medal, all you really need to do is pretty much scuff it really well and have it smooth
Old 01-17-2007, 10:07 PM
JeffUtica
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LesteR723

Im in the process of sanding down my project car to get her ready for paint... and i got a 3m sanding disk. i hit the fenders down to the metal then i went to get the front bumper and instead of nice shiny metal i see funky yellowish stuff. how am i supposed to sand that stuff down?
Doh!
The bumpers are plastic urethane. If the paint has not cracked, just wet sand with #400 wet paper until dull. If there are cracks, handsand with #180 dry to remover the cracked paintfeather edging into existing paint, then #220 dry and finish with #400 wet paper. If you have to remove all the paint be careful DA'ing the bumper covers so you don'tcreate waves or dips.
Acid wash the bare metal and spray it with an epoxy primer.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:58 PM
5.0coupe
3rd Gear Member

Good Advice, but take your time the more you rush the worse it will look. Just make sure before you paint togo over the entire car with a tackipad to get rid of any dust and debris
Old 01-20-2007, 02:34 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JeffUtica

Doh!
The bumpers are plastic urethane. If the paint has not cracked, just wet sand with #400 wet paper until dull. If there are cracks, handsand with #180 dry to remover the cracked paintfeather edging into existing paint, then #220 dry and finish with #400 wet paper. If you have to remove all the paint be careful DA'ing the bumper covers so you don'tcreate waves or dips.
should i take the bumpers down to bare or just scuff up the paint enough to put more on? i dont want that ugly grey-blue showin through.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:26 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JeffUtica

Doh!
should i take the bumpers down to bare or just scuff up the paint enough to put more on? i dont want that ugly grey-blue showin through.
NO you should have to take anything down to bare material just wet sand everything, if theres rust you take that down to bare metal. the paint thats already on there is smooth for the most part, so you just wet sand it to get a surface, if you take off the old paint completely then you take off the smooth surface and have to start all over again
Old 01-20-2007, 03:27 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

just curious do you have any pictures of your car, now and when you got it

as for the gray-blue showing thru, thats why you use primer and for the paint to stick to
Old 01-21-2007, 09:59 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89Ford

just curious do you have any pictures of your car, now and when you got it

as for the gray-blue showing thru, thats why you use primer and for the paint to stick to
no current ones... but i have some from the guy on ebay that sold it to me...

my lonely rust spot

my nasty dents

another dent

and another

Old 01-21-2007, 10:38 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

well i dont see any reason to strip the paint, but god damn what the hell happen to that thing?
Old 01-21-2007, 10:41 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

how much did you pay for it

Quick Reply: Body Help