5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Best way to pull a 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 08:02 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Default Best way to pull a 5.0

I would prefer answers from people with personal experience, I am ready to pull my engine and just wanted to know what you guys have found to be the best way to do this. I have a hoist with a leveler and 4 chain connectors. What has worked for you in terms of where to hold the engine?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:07 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Best way to pull a 5.0

find a bolt with the same thread as your intake bolts, grade 8 bolts, make sure they fit into the chain, but the head of the bolt is too big for the chain to slip off. if u got 4 chains, do the 4 corners of the lower intake. i use 2 chains, diaginal from each other. dont rely on the chains to maintain specific angles. you'll have to manuever it by yourself, no matter what.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:25 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

it depends to me on what all u plan on pulling because if i pull i wsually pull tranny with it so i can redo both,but given either i put two chains around the whole motor so as not to damage anything, shackle both chains then put a short nylon choker on each shackle then shacle the chokers together at the top. pick is made then use an electric hoist or come along and guide the motor out as i pull it. i have done this alot pulling tranny and motor all at once and never had any problems, but if your gonna pull both just be sure the driveshaft and all tranny mounts are unhooked.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:34 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

we had some straps with loops and put it around the engine and put it on the cumalong and then put another on the back to the hoist to keep it level. then pulled the engine and left the tranny.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:02 PM
bernout
2nd Gear Member

I use 2 chains..

1 on front bolt hole where alternator bolts too and one on the back of the head, drivers side..

took radiator, accessories, exhaust and upper intake manifoldoff, disconnected all wiring left power steering connected to car and moved out of the way... took out motor and trans as one..

as long as car is up on high enough jackstands or whatever you use, tilt the tranny side down and itl come right out.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:13 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

thanks for the fast responses guys. just to clear a few things up, the tranny and everything is already off the rear of the motor, so it's just the engine comin out. I only have a couple more things to disconnect and it should be ready to come out...
Old 01-19-2007, 12:19 AM
turbosha
3rd Gear Member

i always use the exhaust bolt holes farthest on each corner,using 4 chains will make it more stable coming out . just make sure to put the chains the same length as close to the engine as possible. ive had to drop it back down and rechain before 'cause my hoist ran out of stroke ..... i hate when that happens[:@]
Old 01-19-2007, 01:14 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: turbosha
ive had to drop it back down and rechain before 'cause my hoist ran out of stroke ..... i hate when that happens[:@]
I hate it when I don't have enough stroke lol

I use a chain from each corner. I picked up an extra pair of 5.0 Mustang engine lift brackets at the local junkyard. The brackets bolt into the exhaust manifold holes, using exhaust your header bolts.
One bracket on each corner, and the chain meets at a load leveler. The levelers are fairly cheap, and will make pulling the motor and trans a piece of cake. Keep the chain as short as possible.
I have routinely pulled my motors on my own, but having extra eyes there is priceless.

It will be easier to bolt the trans to the block before putting the motor back in.
It can be a real pain to get the input shaft of the trans lined up properly.
I always pull the trans with the motor for this reason. Even if I have no reason to pull the trans.

I only use Grade 8 hardware. Cheap hardware is not worth the risk here.

good luck,
jason
Old 01-19-2007, 01:29 AM
90GTDan
1st Gear Member

If your leaving the tranny in make sure to support the front of the trans BEFORE you pull the engine. lol
Old 01-19-2007, 03:24 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vristang

ORIGINAL: turbosha
ive had to drop it back down and rechain before 'cause my hoist ran out of stroke ..... i hate when that happens[:@]
I hate it when I don't have enough stroke lol

I use a chain from each corner. I picked up an extra pair of 5.0 Mustang engine lift brackets at the local junkyard. The brackets bolt into the exhaust manifold holes, using exhaust your header bolts.
One bracket on each corner, and the chain meets at a load leveler. The levelers are fairly cheap, and will make pulling the motor and trans a piece of cake. Keep the chain as short as possible.
I have routinely pulled my motors on my own, but having extra eyes there is priceless.

It will be easier to bolt the trans to the block before putting the motor back in.
It can be a real pain to get the input shaft of the trans lined up properly.
I always pull the trans with the motor for this reason. Even if I have no reason to pull the trans.

I only use Grade 8 hardware. Cheap hardware is not worth the risk here.

good luck,
jason
Thanks for this info. I was actually planning on putting it all back in as one piece, i decided to take it out seperately though b/c i actually wasnt sure if i was going to pull the motor and I had to do a clutch. I will go out and buy some Grade 8 bolts to do the pulling.