5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

So... went and looked at a 'STang today

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 08:27 PM
stangcrazy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: So... went and looked at a 'STang today

I would offer him the $5,000 Canadian. If he gets insulted oh well for the amount of money he is asking and the list of problems you have piling up i would hold off. Trust me don't rush into buying someone elses troubles because you really want a stang. What may look ok now may not in 2 days, take some time look it over really good and take it to a mechanic. If not you have a good chance of getting stuck with a lemon like I did, because of being impatient. And just because this guy is in the military doesn't mean he won't try to pull one over on you...I have been in the military for almost 5 years and i see and know alot of sneeky mo fo's. You can always check out www.traderonline.com you can normaly stumble upon a good deal there.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:44 AM
Kickboxer

Well I'll be able to tell more on Sunday when I go and look at it. Have to decide in my head the highest I want to go. $7000 Canadian is the average price in Ontario, I dunno.

Indecisive right now.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:07 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

Bah, you damn canadians with your strange "KM"s and "Canadian dollars". LOL. Definatly offer him less than that though. Stangcrazy made some good points. Lowball his a$$!
Old 10-07-2004, 05:21 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

he wants to much money.... the car is 14 years old regardless of miles... did it smoke when you first started it? i had a 50 once that when i let it sit for about a week, it would let oil into cylinders and make it hard to start, then once it started it cleard out and was great, those were my valve guide seals
Old 10-08-2004, 12:00 AM
Kickboxer

No smoke at ALL, stood behind the car when he started it, not a puff.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:01 AM
Kickboxer

So what should I be looking for when I go back sunday? I so suck at looking at cars!
Old 10-09-2004, 12:34 AM
Kickboxer

Pic of car
Old 10-09-2004, 12:40 AM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

yea def. go for a lower price... i know thats high, even in New york which is one of the most expensive states to buy amustang...they dont sell for that high
Old 10-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Kickboxer

Well, went and looked at the car again today....

He had it painted in 1997, and the body looks as good as it does in the picture I posted. There are a few bubbles around the windshield, but other than that, the car is MINT. Even though it's black, there are very few spiderweb scratches. When he had the car painted, he replaced front fenders and the trunk. Underneath the car looked good too, with a bit of rust, which doesn't suprise me.

This guy is very **** about his car - like I mentioned earlier, he's the original owner (well, got it from his dad). He almost fainted when he thought I hit his car with a halogen light, and practically begged me not to drive the car too hard. "Don't go too fast down here, the road is bumpy" and the road wasn't even that bumpy.

He definately maintained the car well - has ALL the receipts dating back to 1990. If the mileage was a tad better, and the small bubble of rust wasn't around the windshield, I would definately consider giving him close to what he's asking - the car looks that good.

I can't make up my mind now.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:13 PM
92GT5spd

Don't let him intimidate you.If this guy is afraid to let you open it up on the road,he's probably hiding something.When someone WANTS to sell you a car,they'll do anything.Although,if he drives it that way,at least you know it hasn't been dogged hard.But,from what I've heard a car runs like you drive it,meaning if he puts around in it,thats what it's gonna run like.I say find you a car,where the owner wants you to test it,see what it can do,and genuinely acts like they want you to buy it.And if your really worried about it,get dirty,get underneath it and take a good look.Look at the oil pan,check it for dents and leaks.pull the plug from the rear axle,stick your finger in there,see what color the fluid is.Check the exhaust all the way back for holes,dents,or rust.Check the whole frame to see if any parts have been re-welded,or replaced(could be an indication that it's been wrecked).Especially the frame under the hood where he replaced the fenders.check the front and rear main seals for oil leaks,check hoses,wires,fuses(blown fuses could indicate electrical problems),and belts.Also,you mentioned the a/c doesn't work....What doesn't work about it?Is it just out of freon,or does it need a new compressor?If it needs a new compressor,you have replace the drier as well,and they are not cheap.Ask him why he replaced the fenders,did he wreck it?If so,what all was damaged,and what all did he replace?The check engine light also raises a red flag.He said it is a common problem in mustangs?It's only common when there's a problem,have that checked by a mechanic.Check the tranny fluid in it also,check whether the dipstick has rust in the tube or on the stick itself.That's a reasonable price,if all these things check out to be O.K..Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: So... went and looked at a 'STang today