5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Speed and more speed......

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 08:02 PM
sikpony

Default Speed and more speed......

Well I could'nt really decide a right place to post this but here goes. I am saddened by the news of the death of a close friends son. It seems that he was killed in an accident while "street racing". This seems like an every day occurence at least here in Southern California. It seems like every night I turn to the news the is another story of illegal street racing and fatalities. I am 31 years old and admit that when I was younger I too participated in illegal street racing. I remember when I was involved we had different "cruise" spots different days of the week where we would go and hang out and see if we could hustle a race. After a few races were set up we would go to our "special spots" and do our deed. These spots were streets that were in industrial areas or streets that were pretty much deserted at night. Once again I realize now that even racing on those lonesome streets there was still a danger of an accident. But now days it seems that these kids are just racing wherever and whenever the feel like it, not taking into consideration the saftey of pedestrians and other drivers. I am curious if this is just a problem here in So.Cal or if this is happening all over the U.S.. I have been involved in drag racing since I can remember. I remember my father used to take me to the dragstrip every Saturday with him so I could watch him race and help him out in the pits. I remember him telling me that drag racing is a dangerous sport and it should always be done at the track and never on the streets. Now, I am a father myself and when I take my kids to the track I am constantly reminding them about the seriousness of drag racing and the consequences it can have if its done elsewhere than on the track. My kids are not old enough to drive yet, but when that day comes I still am fearful of them participating in street racing. We need to talk to our kids about the seriousness of street racing and the consequences, so maybe just maybe we can discourge this kind of activity.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:51 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Speed and more speed......

it's here to..the problem is the tracks are so tight on things that the kids say the hell with it..and I think it's the rush of the spare of the moment race....with all the idots out driving it's real dangerous as hell...I drive a truck and if those dumbass pull out in front of me they sure won't care about a speeding ricer car
Old 10-06-2004, 09:33 PM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

You should post this story in the Street/Strip section of this board. That's where a lot of "idiots" brag about street racing.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:38 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

ok. im stickin my neck on the line here. i street race. but wheres its deserted. and honestly, the reason is cuz around here, the track is open one day a week, and when we wanna race, we CANT. track's not open on fri and sat night. and sunday, it costs too much to race. if they opened the track on fri and/or sat night, id go. charge like $5/$10 to race, and yeah, id pay it AT LEAST once a month, but, i dont race that much. i havent "raced" in over 3 months. 1) i dont wanna break my car and 2) nobody to race, cuz, 1. ive beaten 'em or 2. theyre faster than me. yell at me, i dont care, but, like i said, if they opened the track fri/sat night(s), id go, and my friends would too.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:40 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

i am sorry bout your friends son. i got emotional in my post and forgot to mention it, but, i truly am sorry. i know if i killed somebody bad about it, but, if i wrecked and died, my friends would know i went on "my own terms and somewhat happy". unless i was losing. [>:]
Old 10-07-2004, 01:55 AM
sikpony

50H,
Thanks, no offense taken. I've been there and done it too, but at least you are trying to do the right thing and keeping it to those lonely isolated streets. I'm not saying that there is no danger there, but at least it's not as bad as racing on those heavily traveled streets where all the accidents seem to happen. Take care and be careful....
Old 10-07-2004, 02:27 AM
stangcrazy
2nd Gear Member

I love to race my stang looking back on when i had my 93 vert i realize now that i did some pretty stupid stuff. Like doing 120 down interstate 95 in virginia with the top down and no seatbelt on...started slowing down when my a$$ started lifting off of the seat. Street racing is very dangerous as is any form of racing no matter where it takes place. I used to always fly from place to place in a hurry for no reason. Now that i have a kid i realize its time to slow down on the road..not the track.. and just enjoy the ride.

I'm sorry to hear about your friends son. And i hope this post gets to the street racers out there and hopfully they will move it from the road to the track.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:39 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

well, i posted my opinion and reasoning. but, i dont always fly like what you used to. im normally sensible when everyday driving. cruise is set on 72/73 when im on 81(65mph) and people pass me still. my seatbelt is the first thing that goes on me in my car, other than my sunglasses when i drive. yes, i know street racing is dangerous. and theyre cracking down on it which is another reason i quit. id like to keep my car, and like i said, where we race(d), it was a lonely deserted road. its at the base of a mountain. its at least a mile long straight stretch b4 you go up the mountain. we have plenty of room, plenty of room to race and stop, and if we see headlights, we dont race. at least the v8 guys dont. the "honda boys" just dont care. they race any- and everywhere which is STUPID. they race thru town all the time and pisses me the f**k off !!!! WHO IS THAT STUPID !!! light to light, fine. but, not in town where there are ALWAYS pedestrians somewhere. most of the places are 25/30mph and these idiots are racing thru these zones running 55/60. im gonna laugh when they get pulled over, get tickets, jail time, fines, AND theyre car impounded !!! but, im done venting now. street racing is how drag racing got started. and ill probably never quit it unless something drastic changes my mind. but, to anybody who has lost a friend/family member due to street racing, i am sorry. ive had friends die from it too. but, its their choice, unless they were killed by somebody elses stupidity(them not racing). and yes, i know im contradicting myself. when i street race, yeah, i know im being stupid. but, like i said, if the track was open more, id go there and do my racing instead of on the road !!!!
Old 10-07-2004, 02:45 AM
stangcrazy
2nd Gear Member

I agree with you. My little flight down 95 happened a long time ago (1998) when i was young and stupid..now i feal like i am older and well still stupid but not to that extent anymore.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:59 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

All I can say is that its a damn shame that people run their cars that hard on the public road. Ill get along side someone and toy with em but Ive only draged on the street a handful of times, when it was about 2 AM with noone on the street. Still not a good idea though.

Quick Reply: Speed and more speed......