5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Really weird elect. problem in

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 01:19 PM
SweetSally

Default Really weird elect. problem in

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board. I'm having some serious problems and message boards have proven to be the best way to get help (the dealer hasn't been much help so far) This is a long post to give the history of my problem.</P>

I have a 1999 Anniversary Edition GT Convertible automatic. I love this car, but for the last year I've been having some really strange problems. It started as a loud "thump" through the speakers (yeah, volume is up a bit most of the time). It was so loud I jumped, and looked around to see if someone hit me. Then the car shut off while I was driving, with the "thump". Sometimes it wouldn't start, and I thought it was the battery cables. I'd tighten them, clean them, etc, although they looked fine. But all this happened so randomly that I couldn't tell what it was.</P>

If I left the car sitting for more than a week or 10 days, the battery would go dead. It was fine as long as I was driving it, but during the winter I actually replaced the battery once, and had to jump it5 or6 times. I thought it was because I hadn't shut the door tightly and the interior light drained the battery. The "thumping" was still happening through the radio, especially when I first started the car. If it was idling and I put the top down, "thump" again, and then I noticed the gauges just dropping to nothing, as if all the juice was gone, like someone turned the key. Then the yellow idiot light comes on. </P>

I took it to the dealer, and they said there was 'air in the gas tank' (whatever that means). They reset the computer and I took it home. Light came back on. And the "thumping" and shutting off still was happening. I took it back, they said they didn't know why the light was coming on, same read out from the computer. Reset the computer again. I'm driving home and the car shuts off while I'm sitting in traffic. Won't start for about 5 minutes, then starts right up. As I'm driving I hear the "thump" and see the gauge needles drop, then come right back up. </P>

I called the dealer (again) and brought it back. They said "alternater" and replaced it ($347) I drive it home...same thing. Start the car, turn the radio on, pull the lights on, and "thump!" the gauge needles drop and the car shuts off. Called the dealer and they said they had no idea what the problem was but we could bring it back in again.</P>

Has anyone ever heard of this? Is it the stereo?? How can I tell? I'm getting so frustrated. I can't drive the ole' girl without fear she'll shut off and leave me somewhere.</P>

any comments are much welcome</P>

SweetSally</P>
Old 07-28-2003, 01:28 PM
SweetSally

Default Really weird elect. problem in

Sorry...should have posted this on another section of the board. I'll do that now.</P>

</P>