5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

check engine light is coming on

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 05:23 PM
kellys95gt

Default RE: check engine light is coming on

Thanks... I will try the codereader thing again. Im not really sure which cable on the battery to pull? cuz there are two of them. If its something different than those two I probably cant find it, it took me 20 minutes to find the thing to plug the thing into. I am trying really hard to learn about my car but I get discouraged cuz Im beginning to think that car stuff is a man's bussiness cuz I cant find anything or figure anything out lol. I know where the battery is and where to put oil thats about it.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:27 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

pull the neg wire on the battery leave if off for 10-15 mins....do yourself a big favor buy a chilton's book on your stang..and look over it...you'll learn alot from it
Old 10-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

Yeah I have a chilton book, its probly the best book ive ever bought, it will tell you EVERYTHING. It also has diagnostic charts that the dealers use and all that.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:57 PM
Moosetang
3rd Gear Member

My check engine light comes on and stay's on for like 30 secs. What could be up? Autozone said the check engine light had to be on, or they could not read the codes. I thought the computer stored the codes for awhile?
Old 10-11-2004, 02:20 AM
kellys95gt

I dont know what to tell ya? They couldnt read my codes at AUTOZONE cuz my car isnt new enuf. So i bought one of those flashin code readers , that was a joke lol! anyways, if u were somewhere close i would let ya have that stupid flashing thing and wish u the best of luck counting those flashes. lol. Good luck!
Old 10-11-2004, 10:08 PM
chozenboi

Hey Kelly, my 95 had similar symptoms. It would really suck when the light would go on and off because I'd take it to the shop and by the time I got there, it went off. Anyway, it ended up being the MAF sensor. The stock sensor went out and I made the mistake of just buying a stock rebuilt for $75, instead of upgrading. Well, good luck!
Old 10-11-2004, 10:15 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

you can check a bad maf while idling lighly tap the electrics with your finger if the rpms change it's bad ..I had one it ran fine until I hit a decent size bump then cut out for a sec
Old 10-11-2004, 10:17 PM
kellys95gt

My mechanic said he thought it was goin bad...but he said running the computer test wouldnt tell us that it was goin bad he said its good until its bad. He said i needed to bring it over right when it was acting up and the light on which is never when Im near his house lol. Thanks for telling me that..... I guess i could just go ahead and replace the thing.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:22 PM
kellys95gt

Okay!!! That sounds like something I can do I think???? Can you please tell me where the electrics are and where im sposed to tap exactly and where my MAF sensor is?? Im a blond and i need DETAILED directions !!
ORIGINAL: vfast

you can check a bad maf while idling lighly tap the electrics with your finger if the rpms change it's bad ..I had one it ran fine until I hit a decent size bump then cut out for a sec
Old 10-12-2004, 03:31 AM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

your maf sensor and all of that is next to your filter on the passenger side of the engine, in front of or maybe right next to the wheel well in the engine compartment. i can't remember if it says MAF on it anywhere, but all of that is easy to find right there. the electronics just plug right into the air tube that runs to the engine, small connector with a few wires. I'm assuming that's what they want you to tap, mine hasn't ever acted up yet. good luck kelly
-kyle

Quick Reply: check engine light is coming on