5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

351W Options!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 05:54 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

Default 351W Options!

As some of you know i plan on doing a 351 swap into my notch, possibly stroking it to a 393. My auto teacher, who is a pioneer to drag racing and has owned a few service shops, is going to help me through it. He has a few parts that he has suggested to use, and i am contemplating weather or not hes just trying to get rid of them. He has suggested i use the following:

1. Borg Warner T10 transmission. I havent heard of many people using them. He said its "bulletproof" and will bolt up with a simple change of the bellhousing, and a little bit of cutting to get the shifter to come through. I think it would be badass to have a 4 speed.

2. Holly "Street Avenger" intake manifold. Its old, and he said they dont make it anymore, and that it is a great intake.

3. Dart heads that came off an older 289. Im not sure what size they are, we have to take them off the engine. We know they are Dart heads because of the casting number.

Are any of these parts worth using? I would be getting them for next to nothing. They are all in good condition, and i would more than likely have the trans rebuilt. Any feedback is appreciated!
Old 01-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Hurricanedt77
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 351 Build

I guess it comes down to your budget, is he giving you these things for free?
Otherwise, I would just run the numbers, i'm sure you can pull up some information about these products somewhere.
Never heard of a T10, But maybe it is bulletproof.
Best of luck to you my friend, keep me posted as it comes along.
I'm also doing a 351 build right now 8-)
Old 01-26-2007, 07:06 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 351 Build

I'd be getting a good deal. Im not sure what he will want exactly, but i know it will beat buying new parts. The T10 was used in the 60s/70s. Its a 4 speed and it looks pretty cool, ill get some pics on monday.

ORIGINAL: Hurricanedt77

I guess it comes down to your budget, is he giving you these things for free?
Otherwise, I would just run the numbers, i'm sure you can pull up some information about these products somewhere.
Never heard of a T10, But maybe it is bulletproof.
Best of luck to you my friend, keep me posted as it comes along.
I'm also doing a 351 build right now 8-)
Old 01-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Fosters82GT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 351W Options!

1. Borg Warner T10 transmission. I havent heard of many people using them. He said its "bulletproof" and will bolt up with a simple change of the bellhousing, and a little bit of cutting to get the shifter to come through. I think it would be badass to have a 4 speed.
Borg Warner trannys were primarily found in GM cars. They're not bad but they're not totally bulletproof. The best 4 speed you could get would be a wide ratio Ford Toploader. Way more bulletproof and fast shifting. However, since the BW is free..... use it until it breaks.

2. Holly "Street Avenger" intake manifold. Its old, and he said they dont make it anymore, and that it is a great intake.
Again, not a bad part. The modern day Edelbrock Victor Jr's or RPM Air Gap intakes will blow that one out of the water so-to-speak. The Street Avengers were a good intake in their day but the ports are smaller and it would be more for mid-range rpm.

3. Dart heads that came off an older 289. Im not sure what size they are, we have to take them off the engine. We know they are Dart heads because of the casting number.
Any aftermarket head is an improvement over stock Ford heads unless you're prepared to do a whole lot of head porting on '69 or '70 351W heads. The Dart heads will be great.

Since you're getting all this stuff for free though, you should be able to build a 500 hp 393 with not much work; especially, if you have an old school drag racer helping you! If nothing else, this will be a great learning opportunity and have a whole lot of fun doing it.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:54 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

These are the answers im looking for! But note that i did not say i was getting them for free... i wish! But i should be getting a VERY decent price. Does the T10 shifter line up alright with the stock location? It looks like it should come out of the floor hence the tall shifter, and the shifter is on the side of the trans, rather than the top like on a T5. And also, does anyone know what the T10 is rated at HP and TQ wise?
Old 01-27-2007, 01:15 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Personally I would pass on the trans (T10).
It sounds like the shifting mechanism could turn into a nightmare (then again it could be fairly easy, I just don't know).
My feeling is that the factory t5 is better than most folks indicate. As long as you aren't dumping the clutch at 4,000rpm and/or slapping slicks on every weekend, a t5 can work quite well.
Especially if you put a little into rebuilding it with a little extra.

The rest of the stuff sounds good.

jason

ps-
I know this isn't what you asked,
but I hate doing business with people I know, especially people I like.
If anything goes wrong, a friendship could quickly dissolve...
Old 01-27-2007, 02:19 AM
Fosters82GT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ckyguy68

These are the answers im looking for! But note that i did not say i was getting them for free... i wish! But i should be getting a VERY decent price. Does the T10 shifter line up alright with the stock location? It looks like it should come out of the floor hence the tall shifter, and the shifter is on the side of the trans, rather than the top like on a T5. And also, does anyone know what the T10 is rated at HP and TQ wise?
Ah, sorry about that. For some reason I interpreted it as getting the stuff for free. But cheap is good too!

As for your question about shifter location, I think it's going to be more forward in the car and a little towards the drivers side. There's many different T-10's - aluminum case, cast iron case, and many different ratios - so I guess it really depends on the tranny you're going to get.

Here's a link about the Richmond Super T-10, but they're all the same dimensionally as the Borg Warner T-10 and Super T-10. Hope this helps.

http://www.richmondgear.com/01pdfs/pages33-35.pdf
Old 01-27-2007, 03:47 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Do what the old man says, that car was his thing back in the day[8D], he can use the cash, you can use the performance
Old 01-28-2007, 11:31 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

I need more opinions
Old 01-28-2007, 11:40 PM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

as it was said up there the t10 came out of chevy chevelles in the mid 60's primarily and the olds but they were acutally found in the 390 and 406 galaxies b4 that, but they are good tranny's any stick tranny from that era is a good tranny cause of the bad *** motors they had to back. but the best was the ford toploader, its bullet proof up to at the very least 750 rwhp but it had over 800 rw torque and thats what ripped it out. my friends dad was the only one i have ever heard of breaking and it was off a ex nascar motor, and it was ridiculous. but anyway the intake is a decent intake, but the heads u can do much better. i would say somethin like edlebrock heads are kinda cheap for aluminums and they flow better. as far as the rest goes it should be a nasty motor when it comes out. good luck

Quick Reply: 351W Options!