5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Found pin in the oil pump please help me found out what it is!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 01:15 AM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Found pin in the oil pump please help me found out what it is!

ORIGINAL: 89GTdude

I dont really know I keep finding more and more stuff thats done to the car that I wasn't told about. Do these have a double roller timing chain stock? I will have to go take off the covers and see. Thanks for the reply
If you pull your fill tube cap off, you should be able to see if youy have roller rockers, unless the bafle is there still,
Old 01-29-2007, 01:18 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

pull the valve covers, those kinda look like the center pieces to valve spring caps
Old 01-29-2007, 01:21 AM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

wonder if its that little plug/cap looking thingy but its looks kinda too big(and is the pump out of the engine?), and good idea mattdel, kinda leaning towards what ur sayin
Old 01-29-2007, 01:37 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Probably came out of your pump when it took a dump.....
Old 01-29-2007, 01:39 AM
89GTdude
1st Gear Member

The baffle's are still in the valve covers, and I have the oil pump out of the car. I will have to pull of the covers and see whats up. When I replace the oil pump should I replace the pump shaft with a heavier one?
Old 01-29-2007, 01:42 AM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

That would be a good idea, ARP makes a nice one, not too expensive either ~10$
Old 01-29-2007, 01:42 AM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

Well this morning I was driving my car and all of a sudden I could here the valve's start ticking and drove it about a mile until I looked at the pressure light and there was no oil pressure so I parked it. I droped the front suspension and pulled off the pan and the oil pump shaft was broke. Well I looked in the oil pump and there was a little pin and there was another one in the oil pan. What do you think this could be I checked the timing chain and it wasn't from it. Could it be from a lifter? Here is a picture so you can tell what size they are please help me this is my daily driver!

Could it ba part of the broken shaft, probably unlikely, but maybe it snapped an make 2 lil piecees like that, they look toooo perfect to be that though. Man id say you have quite a few people stumped here. mabye tear into some stuff and try to see if anyhting is missing, **** ive been looking up pics of parts to help, but im still lost....
Old 01-29-2007, 01:45 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

The baffle's are still in the valve covers, and I have the oil pump out of the car. I will have to pull of the covers and see whats up. When I replace the oil pump should I replace the pump shaft with a heavier one?
It couldn't hurt to replace it with a heavier one. I'd pull the valve covers and make sure nothings coming apart under there.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:22 AM
89GTdude
1st Gear Member

Well I just pulled the valve cover and it doesn't have roller rockers. My dad thinks that it might be possible that it could be from a lifter and slid down the lifter galley and into the pump?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Monstang
2nd Gear Member

It would be real near impossible to get a piece that size back to the oil pump through the oil passages. I would be willing to belt that those pieces came from your oil pump. Not sure how one of them would make it to the pan but the one in the oil pump was the demise of your pump shaft.

Quick Reply: Found pin in the oil pump please help me found out what it is!