5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

couple Qs about the 5 lug swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 06:21 AM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

Default couple Qs about the 5 lug swap

alrighty, so i've had a bunch of the parts here waiting for over a year and i'm about to start working on this. I have the front and rear calipers/rotors and brackets from a 96, but i'm still lacking the axles/spindles/MC/BB/PV/all the lines ...hardware etc.

now the question is this, would it be a bad idea to get ranger axles and drums in the rear instead? ...someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i presume that the rotors would add more rotational weight than drums? and i also assume that the swap would be easier/less expensive because i don't think i'd need the MC/BB/PV and the lines to do this... i'm just worried that it could be a bad idea to pair the sn-95 front brakes while staying with drums in the rear, could this cause it to be unstable or something?
Old 02-02-2007, 06:48 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

Default RE: couple Qs about the 5 lug swap

nobody has any clue for me ?[sm=smiley6.gif]
Old 02-02-2007, 07:02 PM
15austin
3rd Gear Member

No, it will be fine.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:15 PM
watson30
2nd Gear Member

How about the fronts? I have everything but I keep hearing that I need a specialline for the passenger side.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:41 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

I've heard of this kind of swap before. If you dont mind me asking, what year Ranger do you take the axles out of? I would love to do a cheap 5 lug swap.. Swapping axles is cake, but which 5 lug front rotors/spindles bolt right up to the stock calipers?
Old 02-02-2007, 09:49 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

I dont see why you wouldnt be fine I mean your not really changing that much and only going to a little bit bigger front caliper. BTW whats going on with those pony rims? haha I might have a home for them!!
Old 02-03-2007, 06:28 AM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

How about the fronts? I have everything but I keep hearing that I need a specialline for the passenger side.
i've never heard about that before.

I've heard of this kind of swap before. If you dont mind me asking, what year Ranger do you take the axles out of? I would love to do a cheap 5 lug swap.. Swapping axles is cake, but which 5 lug front rotors/spindles bolt right up to the stock calipers?
all the info you could ever need on all the differnet possibilities are right here http://www.sn95brakes.com/5lug.php

BTW whats going on with those pony rims? haha I might have a home for them!!
i was thinking about selling them, they'll come with the tires, but they suck (205/60/16 all seasons... maybe 25% thread left)... i also live in canada, so shipping might be a PITA, i'll sell them pretty cheap though. PM me if you're interested.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:12 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

im running 95 brakes up front and drums out back, and I havent had one problem, as for the brake line you can buy an adpater or MM sells SS lines that dont need adapters
Old 02-03-2007, 08:57 AM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: primetime5.0

im running 95 brakes up front and drums out back, and I havent had one problem, as for the brake line you can buy an adpater or MM sells SS lines that dont need adapters
exactly what i wanted to know! thanks.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:33 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: primetime5.0

+1!!!

Quick Reply: couple Qs about the 5 lug swap