5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Look at what blew up... Need INTAKE BOX

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 01:45 AM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Look at what blew up...

ORIGINAL: Foxbodyforever
I have heard that nitrous isn't actually flammable though it justs adds more oxygen into the formula? So the nitrous ingniting wouldn't make sense? But i'm not too sure
In a wet system nitrous AND gas are both sprayed through the intake. Hence the ability to burn...
Old 02-05-2007, 01:50 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: r.barn

ORIGINAL: CarJway

To all the nitrous guys... What would of caused both head gaskets to pop AND backfire through the intake...

I did one hard pull... Went to go spray again, and as soon as I got WOT at 3000RPM's... BOOM!
If you have an intake valve not closing all the way is what would
cause a backfire into the intake system.
Cylinder fires off with it still open to the intake runners and ignites
off all the nitrous in the intake

Maybe bad valve or spring or lifter.
I have heard that nitrous isn't actually flammable though it justs adds more oxygen into the formula? So the nitrous ingniting wouldn't make sense? But i'm not too sure
As far as I know this is true. Nitrous is no more than beefed-up compressed air.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:12 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

either way that freaking sucks man do you have new heads and if not time to get some new ones now that they are off
Old 02-05-2007, 11:07 AM
CarJway
2nd Gear Member

Nitrous oxide is not flammable, as it is 2 parts inert gas and 1 part oxidizer. The reason it caused a back fire in the intake track; is due to the fact that the Nitrous Oxide now had a Fuel (Gasoline) to ignite with. I just can’t explain why it back fired AND blew a head gasket. I have quite a few theories, but can not nail one down.

Once I do put this back together, I am going to take it to my friends shop, and put it on the Dyno before I spray again… I'll post vids and numbers later this week...

ORIGINAL: VigCS

ORIGINAL: r.barn

To all the nitrous guys... What would of caused both head gaskets to pop AND backfire through the intake...

I did one hard pull... Went to go spray again, and as soon as I got WOT at 3000RPM's... BOOM!
If you have an intake valve not closing all the way is what would
cause a backfire into the intake system.
Cylinder fires off with it still open to the intake runners and ignites
off all the nitrous in the intake

Maybe bad valve or spring or lifter.
As far as I know this is true. Nitrous is no more than beefed-up compressed air.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:08 AM
CarJway
2nd Gear Member

No new heads, I am not keeping this engine to much longer. (just need it to get me back and forth to work right now) I got something else in the works... Something with A LOT less displacement...

ORIGINAL: HACKGT350

either way that freaking sucks man do you have new heads and if not time to get some new ones now that they are off
Old 02-05-2007, 11:40 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

No new heads, I am not keeping this engine to much longer. (just need it to get me back and forth to work right now) I got something else in the works... Something with A LOT less displacement...

ORIGINAL: HACKGT350

a lot less displacement why would you do that? if i was to put anything in my car with less displacement it would be the 289 hi po i have sitting in a rusted out 65 in my moms driveway
Old 02-05-2007, 11:41 AM
93stallion302
3rd Gear Member

With a Lot less displacement? pls explain something like a skyline motor in a fox?lol no 4 real enlighten us.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:05 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

5 cylinder turbo volvo swap!! lol
Old 02-05-2007, 12:08 PM
disturbed471985
4th Gear Member

Might be going with a 4cyc turbo!! Ive seen 4cyc foxes (of course there not stock) go 11's all day and seen a few 10's.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:35 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Very true, but did you notice that there were two solenoids? He had a wet kit not a dry kit. Nitrous is not flammable but fuel is generally considered flammable. If it's spraying both nitrous and fuel at the same time (and it was) then it can easily blow.

Quick Reply: Look at what blew up... Need INTAKE BOX