5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

rear end locker differences

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 10:57 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Default rear end locker differences

whats the differences between things like traction lock, TrueTrac, Detroit Locker, ABR Air Locker, and a "spool".

i'm totally confused
Old 02-08-2007, 10:59 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

Default RE: rear end locker differences

The spool is s piece of steel that LOCKS your axle shafts together, the only way the tires will spin at different speeds is if something breaks. The ARBair locker is a locker engaged by compressed air from an external pump. I think the detroit locker is jsut a brand, and there are several types of detroit lockers.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:02 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

the detroit locker is similar to the spool in that when you get on the gas, both wheels lock together so that full power goes to both wheels unlike with a limited slip, there is some slipping even when the clutches are engaged which gives slightly more power to one wheel. traction lock is the piece of garbage ford stuck in the rear of our stangs in the factory.

i plan to run a spool for a while. see how i like it. if i dont, i have a locker laying around. a spool isnt that bad on the street.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:56 PM
littlebluelx
1st Gear Member

This is my field, Ok a locker is a device with-n the differential that is used for a traction aid. This causes the tires to rotate at the same speed in accelaration and turning in some cases.

Spool--A spool main goal is that there is no slip inthe transfer of energy from one side of the axle to the other. Itcomes in 2 forms a mini and(or) full spool. A mini spool only takes the place of the spider gears(four gears that transfer rotation from the ring gear to the axle shafts).The mini spool is greatly weaker then a full spool.---A full spool is a complete peice of metal that takes the place of the entirer carrier and spider gears, this creates a very stong link in a very weak part of the axle.
Spools (mini and full) are 100% true lock in all situations.

Ratcheting Locker--This is what is know as a differential locker to most. A locking device that will lock up on hard accelaration but separate(the whole unit) to ratchet while in a corner. This will allow a open differential feel. Ratcheting locker are mostly perfered by the daily driver comunity because of less wear and tear in the drivetrain and especialy tires.
Detroit is a company that makes a ratcheting style locker that is around 90% true lock and 10% slip on hard accelarations.
ABR is also a company that creates a locker system, even though when engaged is more like a spool because of its 99% true lock. This locker is a lock or open differential. (know in the offroad comunity as Already BRoken)

Traction lock--A clutch pack style lockind device that is only around 60% at best, true lock. they burn out very quick to replace this is a waste of money.

Do what is best for you. for me it was a Eaton E-locker. A true 100% locker when engaged and a full open diff. when not engaged.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.
Will
Old 02-09-2007, 07:23 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: littlebluelx

This is my field, Ok a locker is a device with-n the differential that is used for a traction aid. This causes the tires to rotate at the same speed in accelaration and turning in some cases.

Spool--A spool main goal is that there is no slip inthe transfer of energy from one side of the axle to the other. Itcomes in 2 forms a mini and(or) full spool. A mini spool only takes the place of the spider gears(four gears that transfer rotation from the ring gear to the axle shafts).The mini spool is greatly weaker then a full spool.---A full spool is a complete peice of metal that takes the place of the entirer carrier and spider gears, this creates a very stong link in a very weak part of the axle.

Ratcheting Locker--This is what is know as a differential locker to most. A locking device that will lock up on hard accelaration but separate(the whole unit) to ratchet while in a corner. This will allow a open differential feel. Ratcheting locker are mostly perfered by the daily driver comunity because of less wear and tear in the drivetrain and especialy tires.
Detroit is a company that makes a ratcheting style locker that is around 90% true lock and 10% slip on hard accelarations.
ABR is also a company that creates a locker system, even though when engaged is more like a spool because of its 99% true lock. This locker is a lock or open differential. (know in the offroad comunity as Already BRoken)

Traction lock--A clutch pack style lockind device that is only around 60% at best, true lock. they burn out very quick to replace this is a waste of money.

Do what is best for you. for me it was a Eaton E-locker. A true 100% locker when engaged and a full open diff. when not engaged.

Will
wow that awesome thanks man. the e-locker seems like a good option for me... i think im gonna get the 8.8" from summit with 3.73's and a tlok already installed... when i kill that with my big *** 351w =) i'll put in an e-locker. thanks a lot
Old 02-09-2007, 08:55 PM
AlabamaCobra
2nd Gear Member

detroit locker for the win, we have a lt1 in our cj-8 rolling on 38's and the locker takes a MAJOR beating plus the stress from torque,detroit is the creme dela creme.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:06 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Will
Very good info!!! So the Eaton E-locker is better quality and works better than TracLok for a daily driver?
Old 02-10-2007, 05:24 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: luckythirteen13

the detroit locker is similar to the spool in that when you get on the gas, both wheels lock together so that full power goes to both wheels unlike with a limited slip, there is some slipping even when the clutches are engaged which gives slightly more power to one wheel. traction lock is the piece of garbage ford stuck in the rear of our stangs in the factory.

i plan to run a spool for a while. see how i like it. if i dont, i have a locker laying around. a spool isnt that bad on the street.

i am going with a spool in the notch also but it will be mroe drag oriented
Old 03-08-2007, 12:23 AM
OXARMY1

Will
Littlebluelx I too am in your industry and must say that your description of the various difs types was the best I have everseen on the internet. Very informative and accurate.

I would like to add one point that you covered but I felt still was left somewhat unclear. The two main types of locking differentials (spools don’t count because they don’t differentiate at all) are automatic and selectable. Automatics being the various types that automatically determine when they will lock and unlock, usually based on power/torque inputs. On the other hand there areselectables.These are lockers where the driver determines when to lock or unlock, thus making them selectable. In the most cases a selectable is preferred due to its ability to disappear at the flip of a switch or lever. Of course the down side of selectables is the cost. Usually ranging from $700-$1000, and clearly outside the budget of many people. Again, wonderful work on the description, I will be using it myself.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

Nice for once to see people not recommending to rebuild the trak-loks! Great description. I think it could definitely be sticky worthy, with a lil polishing up. Even though it isn'ta question often asked, real great info to know when you're new to this kind of stuff.

Quick Reply: rear end locker differences