5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Hello! I'm New & Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 12:18 AM
marosekcmo

Default Hello! I'm New & Need Help

Hello all. I am about to be a 91 Mustang owner next Friday and have a few questions in regards to an engine combo that I am planning to build.

I'm familiar with 5.0 mustangs just enough to be dangerous. I've been a GM man most of my life. I've built a Chevy 383 and most recently a killer Olds 468 that dynoed 416 hp & 515 tq. Very fun on the street. I had it inmy 83 Hurst/Olds cutlass supreme. Due to family issues, Irecently had tosell it.

Now I've committed myself to the Ford 302. I'm all about torque! I love torque! Horsepower is over-rated on the street IMO. So, saying that, what I'm wanting to do is put together a stroker 347 that would be killer on the street - somewhere around 450lbs. of tq. - maybe close to 400hp. Here's what I came up with to try and achieve this. Please, since I am new to the 302 motor, please feel free to jump in and correct my ignorance.

Cam - Comp Cam XE 264 HR cam
Intake - Not quite sure yet, suggestions would be great. Remember, think torque.
70 MM Trottle Body
70 MM MAF & EGR
Cold Air Induction w/ underdrive pulleys
Heads - AFR 185 Street emissions legal heads.
Bore - 4.030
Stroke - 3.400
Compression - no more than 9.5:1 I only have 91 octane available at the gas stations around here.
BBK equal lenth shorty headers
X-pipe
Not quite sure on mufflers. I had Hooker Aero Chamber on the 468. Sound darn good, but too loud for everyday driving.

With this combo and including a Tuned Port Injection intake, Desktop Dyno says I should make 417 hp & 456 tq. I find that hard to believe. What do you guys think would be a more accurate number for this combo.

If this combo won't get me to my goal, please feel free suggesting a combo that will. I ask that if you do make a combo suggestion that you keep two things in mind - torque and streetability. When I say streetability, I'm not saying borderline streetable.

Thanks for this insight and opinions in advance.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:25 AM
90Lxstanger
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Hello! I'm New & Need Help

wow sounds great, i couldnt give you numbers though, but youll be up there. The cobra/gt-40 or edelbrock performer are good torque intakes, at least from what ive read. and i have bbk equals, x-pipe and mac muffs. and its incredible sounding
Old 02-11-2007, 12:42 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

A trickflowstreet heat intake should make great torque on a 347. As for the power goals I'm not sure about. 350hp shouldn't be hard with those 185's. If you want torque the afr 165's might be better though because of the smaller intake valve. The 165's flow alot better then you would think especially with lower lift cams.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:54 AM
marosekcmo

Wow! Thanks for the fast replies.

I was thinking GT40 intake also, but just wanted some opinions. I'm not familiar with the Trick flow intake. I'll have to research that.

Now the reason why I want to go with the 185 heads instead of the 165 heads is because of an article I read on AFR's website comparing the two. It compared the heads ona 347 with Edelbrock RPM intake, 70 MM throttle body and a small XE cam from comp cams (I think it was XE 258). With that combo, the motor made 405hp & 427tq on the 165 & 419hp & 436tq on the 185. So, since this was close to the combo that I would like to build, I have elected the 185s.

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:00 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Get a Paxton Novi 2000 and those numbers won't be out of reach at all....

EDIT: Have you thought about swapping in a 351w? They're exactly the same as a 302 except for a higher deck height (and some accessory re-arrangement, different headers and a different balanced flywheel).
Old 02-11-2007, 01:03 AM
marosekcmo

I should have mentioned that I'm currently not interested in power adders. Just out of my budget at this time. But if I was to add a power adder, I was thinking NOS just in case I went to the track. Never been though in my other cars. Just liked to whip up on Monte SS, Ricers and yes a 5.0 or two. I'm sorry. I've seen the error of my ways. That's why I'm on this side now.

As for a 351w, I really would like to keep the motor that is in the car. I've been through the motor swap deal with a 307 olds to a 455 olds - not fun. I know that a 302 to 351w wouldn't be as bad, but I guess I am associating the swap with a previously difficult experience.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:15 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Yeah, a 351w bolts right in...there are some changes to be made, none of which require any sort of modifications to the structure of the car. Anyway, the supercharger was just my suggestion.

I'd love to do a 347 as well but my stang is my daily driver so I can't have it out of service . Best of luck withy our endeavor!
Old 02-11-2007, 01:46 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

is this a stock block or a dart block... if its a dart block punch it out .125 with a 347 stroker kit that would get you 363.... thats a lovely amount of troque... but if its a stock block u obviously cant do that... most u would wanna do is punch it out to .060... even then thats only a few cubies more and you wont be pushing the block if u say with a .030 compaired to .060 on a stock block.... as for torque and horse power with no power adder and only a 347 you goals may be a lil large... i would say 350 rwhp is easily achieved as for torque that obviously depends on air flow... and you intake would play a large part on flow... get a cobra or explorer intake... nice and cheap and i think it wouldnt kill your torque numbers... 384rwhp and 403rwtq is my guess.. throw a 150 shot of NX nitrous on there and you looking at 475rwhp and probably close to 600rwtq... like high 500's
Old 02-11-2007, 11:56 AM
marosekcmo

Thanks for your input, CrazyCobraSpeed. Yes, this is a stock block which brings me to another question. How much power can a stock block handle? I was told about 550hp at the flywheel would be maximum.

Also, with the 384rwhp & 403rwtq numbers you gave me, that would be about a 400+hp & 420tq motor at the flywheel, correct? If I can achieve those numbers on pure motor, that would be great! Then add a little NOS later on down the road and that would be a killer street/strip combo.

Keep the advice coming guys. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:09 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

I'd like to say I'm at about those numbers but with a cam one step up, XE274HR. Now with the 347, in my kit anyway, the balance changed so I had to get a different flywheel anyway since it used the 28oz bal. instead of the later 50oz bal. I'm runnig the same heads same sized TB but a larger MAF at 75. I'm running an extremely ported GT40 intake with a COMP CAMS polymer Power box and 1 inch spacer. The torque is awesome. The only reason I'm running a inch spacer is because I'm running rocker stud girdles which require tall valve cover and the TB linkage wouldn't clear without a spacer. I'm running stock EFI fuel rails with 30lb injectors and a 190lph fuel pump. I have yet to get it dyno tuned but it ran a 12.8 @ 111 withan untuned SCT chip and slipping King Cobra clutch. With that trap speed it can very well be in the low low 12s high 11s. This was also with shorty headers ans street tires. I just replaced the clutch yesurday with a dual frction unit and have long tubes on the way and some Mickey Mt Streets. Your goal is very possible with that combo.