5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Spark Plug problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 12:46 AM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Default Spark Plug problem

Hey guys, i know this isnt the 2.3 section but i dont feel like waiting forever for a response and this problem isnt limited to just the 2.3. k my car has been running kinda sluggish compared to normal and my check engine light has been coming on more and more often. I took the caps off my coil packs to check for spark from each one. And i noticed 1 doesnt spark at all, and another barely sparks half the time. Luckily i have 2 park plugs per cylinder so my car still runs. Would this mean that theres a problem with my coil not the spark plug? Also if i replace the coils should i do all my plugs and wires too? or just if they really need it. thnx
Old 02-19-2007, 12:55 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Spark Plug problem

time to replace the coils, yah. not a bad idea to do plugs and wires while your there.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:56 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: mattdel

time to replace the coils, yah. not a bad idea to do plugs and wires while your there.
+1 cheap insurance
Old 02-19-2007, 03:20 AM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

k thanks guys, guess i'll head down tomorrow and get one ordered in. I'll do wires while i'm at it but i wont bother with plugs, they werent bad. Does it matter if you only replace one coil if the other is fine? One nice thing about the dual plugs per cylinder is that i broke a wire today when i was trying to take off the boot and i can still drive it fine
Old 02-19-2007, 03:50 AM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

2.3's are solid state? learn something new every day........
Old 02-20-2007, 09:03 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Alright guys, i replaced the coil that had 2 spark plugs not firing and i replaced all my wires. WHen i finished i assumed everythign was fine (didnt want to check cause of fear of getting shocked after my friends jeep kept shocking me). But my check engine light came on again and went away and came back like it did before. So i checked the plugs at the coils and the same 2 are not firing. I have no clue what to check now. and im a little pissed that i blew th emoney on a new coil when my old one was fine. What should i check now? What could cause it to work sometimes and not others? (the problem started out happening very infrequent, but now the light seems to stay on longer and longer.) Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:15 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

i'm not too familiar with the computer of the 2.3L, but if the coil didn't work, return it. clean it up like new and tell them it wasn't installed, turned out to be a different problem.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:27 AM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

haha well the coil is brand new and giving me the exacta same problem as the last one, and because the fact that i work at the auto parts store where i bought it i dont think i can return it.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:24 AM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

So does anyone have any idead what might cause the coil to fire 2 of the plugs only sometimes? Is there any way to figure out?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:04 PM
tjmon1
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, check the top of your cap. If the contacts look green or corroded, try sanding it lightly or just buy a new one. Odds are, that's it.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug problem