5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

what should i go with

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 02:04 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default what should i go with

i called a local shop and they have a pair of heads from a cobra 93 that are gt40. those cost 500.

they i called a machine shop and they will port and polish valve job and spring for around 400 ish depending on the quality of explorer heads i bring them.

should i spend the money on the cobra heads or get explorer heads and modify them? they will end up costing the same what will end up being better. i would assume the explorer heads but i just want some opinion. BTW the cobra heads have about 2k miles on them
Old 02-19-2007, 02:08 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: what should i go with

so if u get the cobra heads your going to leave them alone? but the explorer heads youll get worked over? get the explorer gt40s... same thing n e way, bout $100 at a junk yard, then get them worked. dont spend $500 on cobra gt40s
Old 02-19-2007, 02:21 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

thats what i was going on. i thought they were gonna be the same. so why not go the modified route

ok so heres my other questions, is putting heads on something i can do myself? the local shop told me they would put them on for 700 to 1000 bucks. that is just too much for me to spend. i've never done any head work, i'm pretty mechanical and i follow directions really well, how difficult would this project be and is setting the rockers hard cause i wanna upgrade to some 1.7rr
Old 02-19-2007, 02:24 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

not sure about the rockers, but i think swaping heads is easy, i just did it, but unfortuanitly swaped stock for stock... long story. i dont think its too hard. what all have you done w. a car so far?
Old 02-19-2007, 02:28 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

well all the mods are listed below on my sig. other than that i dont have the smog pump and the a/c unit is still on but all the lines are cut off and the thing on the firewall is gone for the a/c (the one liter bottle looking thing that has 2 metal lines coming out of them.) how long did it take you? how hard is it to set the heads so they run right? i know its just a tightening thing and then back it off but dont you have to rotate so each head is at TDC? or something.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:39 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

well when i did mine it was to to head gaskets. coulda got the job done in a day, but hit a huge road block, and had to buy new heads, so it sat for a week before i could get my hands on a set. i thought it was easy, but i used stock rockers, so there just tighten and forget, no backing off, no nothing. i have no experiance w. aftermarket rockers. so im no help w. that. if you do have to rotate so everything is at tdc, its not hard to do that. i dont see it being abig deal i say go for it.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:29 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

does anyone have a diagram or directions or step by step instruction on a head swap and how to set the rockers?? also does anyone know how long it will take to do this job? i was thinkin around 5 hours?
Old 02-19-2007, 03:34 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

Which rockers are you using? If you are using stockers then it is straightforward. If you are using aftermarket roller rockers then it is a bit more complicated. But if you can follow directions then it shouldnt be that hard at all.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:35 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

longer then 5 hours if its your 1st time... no instructions... but its basically take it apart and put it back together, pick up a haynes or somethin for tq specs
Old 02-19-2007, 03:36 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

The heads themself are easy, its getting to them. You gotta pull the accesories off, upper/lower intake, mark all the vacuum lines...etc. As far as getting the new heads on, go out and buy a set of ARP head bolts and new gaskets. You also have to make sure the heads are on the right side. They may have the lil ports in the back for the smog, and you gotta get the headswith the holesfor theaccesory bolts on the right side. As far as setting the rockers, I'm searching for a link right now I will edit this when I find it