5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

coolant/ antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Stang_GT_91
2nd Gear Member

Default coolant/ antifreeze

i dont know. but i have to refill my radiator almost every 2 weeks or so... i dont know if i have a leak or not. my coolant overflow bottle is almost always empty and never keeps liquid... i need some info on how u guys run ur cooling and what u think is up
Old 02-19-2007, 10:36 PM
HMUSN
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: coolant/ antifreeze

got white smoke come out of your tail pipes?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Stang_GT_91
2nd Gear Member

when its cold outside yes. but in like 75degrees no...i am in GA right now so the weather is cold but yea white
Old 02-19-2007, 10:54 PM
06Rubi

I am also having this issue right now put in about half a gallon yesterday and today its low again. Overflow is not any higher freaked out and drained oil no water or antifreeze in there. I have a question now i had a 78 bronco and the seal between the motor and teh transfer case went out and it did pull and mix the antifreeze with gear oil. But that is a linked system not with a auto not a stick like my car.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:55 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Let me tell you what happened to me. For a while, every time I checked my coolant level, it was low. So I'd add a little, and, not seeing any leaks, go on about my day. This kept happening over and over again, but there were no signs of an internal or external leak. I continued to scratch my head over the issue until just a couple of days ago. It was a really hot day, and I parked in front of my apartment. I got out and observed a nice river of coolant running out from under my car. I thought something was broken, until I popped the hood and noticed that my overflow tank was...well...overflowing coolant out of the drain hole near the top. There was all that coolant I'd been putting in! Evidently, the car was never hot enough when I checked it to get an accurate reading.

From this experience I learned to just fill the system with the recommended amount of fluid from the beginning, and then leave it alone...unless you're leaking it or burning it.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:14 AM
militarymustang88gt
2nd Gear Member

if you have a chrome thermostat housing they tend to crack seeing as my friend has gone through three of them now and finally put the stock one back on and was fine again also check for cracks in the rubber hose going from the radiator to the overflow because everytime that motor gets above 140 it will start putting fluid in the res. due to the expansion of water
Old 02-20-2007, 11:30 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

water pump!!! this happened to me.. i was always loosing coolant and never saw n e leakage until oneday i saw a lot on the ground.. then it stopped again then i saw more a few days later. then eventually i saw it on the side of the water pump. i had it replaced and the mechanic told me the fan type thing inside was completely gone (i forgot what he called it). no more problems for me
Old 02-20-2007, 11:51 AM
06Rubi

My only issue is that i have no leakage or puddles any where the car sits in my garage and no leaks or anything. Unless i have a huge air bubble somewhere in the system.Guess i will try a new radiator cap and see if that helps or slows it down some.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:38 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06Rubi

My only issue is that i have no leakage or puddles any where the car sits in my garage and no leaks or anything. Unless i have a huge air bubble somewhere in the system.Guess i will try a new radiator cap and see if that helps or slows it down some.
My guess is that, on your first 90 degree summer day, you'll find all the coolant you've been pouring in.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:44 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

get it pressure tested see if autozone or advanced has a kit you hook it up to an air compressor and there is another fitting that goes on your radiator you stick the needle in the fitting ont he radiator and it puts in about 18psi of air take the hose off and see if it holds pressure it doesnt you have a leak and you should be able to hear it hissing out of the leak or see the coolant flowing out

Quick Reply: coolant/ antifreeze