5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Is a T-5 worth $1200

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 04:08 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Is a T-5 worth $1200

ORIGINAL: MadMan@TheWheel

I will lay aside the mathletics and say for my own choice I would not spend $1200 for a T-5 strictly because of all of the better choices on the market. If you must stick with a stick fora little more cash you can walk into a Tremec, which I have a lot of faith in, or you can go with a built C-4. I just don't see $1200 for T-5 being all that good of an option. Unless all you have to spend is $1200 and you can't save up a little for more tranny. Another problem I saw with T-5's is really bad synch problems after a little punishment, it is an issue I have not seen in the stronger tranny's.
thats souly driver error while shiftinf, releasing the clutch a split second to early and things of that nature most of this isn't even noticed my the driver
Old 02-21-2007, 05:40 PM
burning the tiers
1st Gear Member

T-5's are one of the worst and weekest of tremecs transmissions if i had the choice i would go with eather a TKO 500 a TKO 600 or a T-56 viper specks manly b/c of the torque ratings on them and the T-5's and the TR-3650 have alot of syncro problems expeshalay after a lil beatin
Old 02-21-2007, 05:54 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

the t-5 is NOT one of tremics transmissions it was built by borg warner and since the development of the t-5 borgworner was bought out my tremic, yes tremic has improved on the design but the gears they used actualy weakened the transmission, like i have explained alot lately...

the t-5 doesn't have a probelm with syncros they have a problem with people thinking they can drive and can't, yes the tko has stronger less ressistand to shearing syncros, but that only matter for drivers that don't relize they are bad drivers and persist on the "fact" that they know what they are doing....

i was riding with a friend to day and all i heard since i meet the kid is how good a driver he is and how well he shifts, well little did he relize that every time he shifts he's slightly grinding the tranny and occasionaly had trouble getting it in gear, so i mentioned it to him and he got kinda pissed about it and say "well if you can do better then here you drive" so i did, i went to a back counrty road and did about a 1/2 mile run with out lifing my foot and the excression (sp) on his face said it all, after i slowed down he says "i didn't know it was possable to shift that fast or to not lift your foot" so that whole time he was harming the tranny thinking that he was a good driver and never knew it...

so you see alot of the problem is the driver not realizing he is doing something wrong
Old 02-21-2007, 09:15 PM
burning the tiers
1st Gear Member

so wat ur saying is that the problem was that the majority of syncro problem is not the transmissions but the person driving the car ???
Old 02-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Monstang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: burning the tiers

so wat ur saying is that the problem was that the majority of syncro problem is not the transmissions but the person driving the car ???
I think that is what was typed!!!

I will have to agree.
94GTcoupe,
Would you happen to have the gear cluster and the 3nd gear, gear?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:53 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

No way in hell would I pay much for a T5 Z, even if it was brand new. I wouldn't even pay $600 for one.
ORIGINAL: Monstang
I will have to agree.
X3
ORIGINAL: 94gtcoupe
i was riding with a friend to day and all i heard since i meet the kid is how good a driver he is and how well he shifts, well little did he relize that every time he shifts he's slightly grinding the tranny and occasionaly had trouble getting it in gear, so i mentioned it to him and he got kinda pissed about it and say "well if you can do better then here you drive" so i did, i went to a back counrty road and did about a 1/2 mile run with out lifing my foot and the excression (sp) on his face said it all, after i slowed down he says "i didn't know it was possable to shift that fast or to not lift your foot" so that whole time he was harming the tranny thinking that he was a good driver and never knew it...
What do you mean by not lifting your foot...?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:38 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

i mean when i shift my right foot stays on the gas pedal the whole time i don't lift it when i ****, i do use the clutch tho... if you still don't understand i have a video i can post
ORIGINAL: FoxGT

No way in hell would I pay much for a T5 Z, even if it was brand new. I wouldn't even pay $600 for one.
ORIGINAL: Monstang
I will have to agree.
X3
What do you mean by not lifting your foot...?
and yes burning i mean that most syncro problems (not all) are caused by hte driver not the transmission
Old 02-22-2007, 04:01 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

i mean when i shift my right foot stays on the gas pedal the whole time i don't lift it when i ****, i do use the clutch tho... if you still don't understand i have a video i can post
No that was what I got out of it when I read it the first time. I don't think I'm going to be too crazy about doing it though.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:04 AM
militarymustang88gt
2nd Gear Member

hell no i wouldnt get it you can find a tko for that price i paid 1000 for mine came with clutch pressure plate quatdrant adjustable firewall and driveshaft
Old 02-22-2007, 04:05 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

lol yea it your not carefully about it you can mess up a tranny fast, and if u miss a gear better hope your reaction time is fast enough to not blow a motor or that u have a rev limiter (i need to figure out why i don't have one)

Quick Reply: Is a T-5 worth $1200