5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

stupid questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 12:52 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default stupid questions

i'm just bored at work. on the starter that im gonna replace later. on the back of it are two screws and a bracket with a bigger screw on the back of the starter unit.so i'm assuming that those are for power wire ground and all that good stuff and then there are two bolt holes near the starter gear....is this all there is to this thing? i dont need to move anything at all? is there anything tricky to this at all?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:10 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: stupid questions

nope. thats it. just be careful when re-installing the wires, if you cross them, you will get hurt
Old 02-22-2007, 01:15 PM
mjcracing
2nd Gear Member

the bolts can be a pain to get to...need a long extension
Old 02-22-2007, 01:17 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

like how long are we talking?! i have about a 6 inch extension and deep well sockets and a swivel....so i could get like a total of like 9 or 10 inches....long enough???

and what happens if you cross them?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:19 PM
89 fox
4th Gear Member

i've heard of it done with a small extension, but i always use around a foot and a half in extensions from the front of the motor
Old 02-22-2007, 01:22 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

to reduce the chance of shock, most people disconnect the battery before doing a starter job. this is the safest way to do it. if you don't, and happen to cross the wires, it will spark something awful, and possibly engage the gear while it's in your hand.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:35 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

oh yea i figured that. i always take off the neg. battery termanial when i do any electrical work. i've seen some bad accidents when people dont take care. i was thinkin maybe something else might happenhaha! so i guess i need to get another extention this sucks.

i guess i should have asked this ? earlier but when i check in the tech manual for mustangs for difficulty with a warm start i checked everything it asked and the only thing that made sense was the starter being bad. it have me check bad wires, battery, corroded injector terminals, and i think that was about it other than bad starter. so is it safe to say it is the starter?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:37 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

does it crank when its warm? if it cranks but doesn't start, its not the starter. our cars are VERY notorious for having bad ignition modules, they will cause the car to die when they warm up and not start again until they cool down.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:17 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

well gay because it does crank but doesnt turnover. it never said anything about ignition module. how do you change one of those?! is it hard, i know what it is and where it goes. its on the distributor its that little plug in right?
Old 02-22-2007, 02:24 PM
mypony89
1st Gear Member

If mattel is talking about the Ignition control module, which I'm pretty sure he is, then no its not hard to take care of. The ICM is on the distributer. Its the little box thing that the wires hook up to. You should see two screws holding it on. When you take it off be careful. You need a special jell, which I can't remember for the life of me what its called even though I've replaced the stupid things twice on mine.[>:] The jell is there both as a protectent and helps conduct the electrons and all that good crap.

Quick Reply: stupid questions