5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Carb Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 03:58 AM
85 Stang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Carb Question

Im not the one who put the motor together the first time, I traded for this car and after I blew the motor I rebuilt and just putting it back together the way it was so I can sell it. The hoses are hooked up the back line and the line for the pcv valve also there is a small line coming from the front I took it off while it was running and it was a vaccum that sucked, not sure where it went but Ive found a small hard line comin from the firewall and I think it might of went there.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:21 AM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

plz edelbrocks are good simple street performers..easy to adj.. easy to rebuild.. i swaped a holley 650 from a edelbrock 650 avs, and gained just 4 hp...on a dyno...

i run edelbrock 600 1405 0n street and a edelbrock 750 on strip with my set up...holleys are great too but vert tempermental and harder to adj.. i like them tho..

on edel carb tighten screw down till it stars to die on each side and back it off a half to a full turn..and ya set.. theres a idle adj screw on side by linkage ya use to adj curb idle... but remember on a carb set up timing its at idel ,and then there a totle timing at 32-36 *
Old 02-23-2007, 01:56 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SSKiller

ORIGINAL: 85 Stang

Well I got a 351w in it now
That is one of your main problems. You have a 600 CFM carb on a 351. You need atleast a 750 CFM carb. If I were you I would get a Holley 750 double pumper.

no you dont need a 750 on a 351 that still way too much carb a 600cfm with the right power valve will be all it needs
Old 02-23-2007, 02:30 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HACKGT350

That is one of your main problems. You have a 600 CFM carb on a 351. You need atleast a 750 CFM carb. If I were you I would get a Holley 750 double pumper.

no you dont need a 750 on a 351 that still way too much carb a 600cfm with the right power valve will be all it needs
750 Double Pumper!?!?!?!?! Unless its built ....thats too big. 600?!?!?!? on a 351?? too small.

A 650 double pumper would be just about ideal for a mild 351. I run a holley 650 double pumper (it can flow 800 thuogh), and this is just the right size for my 302. It only runs slightly rich when you first floor it. And that only because the secondaries dump a lot of gas.
Edelbrocks are good carbs, havent had any problems with em. Old holleys are very tempermental, the new ones are a lot easier to work with and they have a check ball so you dont blow out your power valve if it backfires. As far as I know all the edelbrock carbs have teh check ball.
As for your idle issue, make sure your idle screw isnt cranked all the way in. Also, make sure the choke flap doesnt close when its running. Then start to check for vacuum leaks. Really easy way to do it is, with the car running, get some starting fluid and spray around the base of the carb, around any vacuum hoses going to it, if the rpms go up - theres your vacuum leak. Be careful when spraying the starting fluid - IT IS HIGHLY VOLATILE. Also be sure to be in a well ventilated area, the fumes will make you go lightheaded. It is pure ether after all.
-P.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:40 PM
ttoppedaerocoupe
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: birdman076

Yes the carb could go "bad" sitting dry for a few months. The gaskets, viton, and other seals can dry up giving you all kinds of problems when you get it back on the motor and running. Did you try idling it down via the adjustment? Honestly what it sounds like is you have a vacuum leak, did you put the hose for the brake booster on the back fitting on the carb or made sure its plugged off if your not using that one? Hoses not being hooked up are one of those things that gets overlooked no matter how many times you install a motor that is where I would start. Visual inspection...
I would def. double check all your vac hoses, plugs, etc.

When all else fails just rebuild the carb, its pretty straightforward, and the best experience is first hand. Clean all the gunk out and make sure everything is nice and squeaky.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:41 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

ORIGINAL: HACKGT350

750 Double Pumper!?!?!?!?! Unless its built ....thats too big. 600?!?!?!? on a 351?? too small.

A 650 double pumper would be just about ideal for a mild 351. I run a holley 650 double pumper (it can flow 800 thuogh), and this is just the right size for my 302. It only runs slightly rich when you first floor it. And that only because the secondaries dump a lot of gas.
Edelbrocks are good carbs, havent had any problems with em. Old holleys are very tempermental, the new ones are a lot easier to work with and they have a check ball so you dont blow out your power valve if it backfires. As far as I know all the edelbrock carbs have teh check ball.
As for your idle issue, make sure your idle screw isnt cranked all the way in. Also, make sure the choke flap doesnt close when its running. Then start to check for vacuum leaks. Really easy way to do it is, with the car running, get some starting fluid and spray around the base of the carb, around any vacuum hoses going to it, if the rpms go up - theres your vacuum leak. Be careful when spraying the starting fluid - IT IS HIGHLY VOLATILE. Also be sure to be in a well ventilated area, the fumes will make you go lightheaded. It is pure ether after all.
-P.
yeah thats a great way to find vacuum leaks did that on mine to find all of them and you really dont have to worry about the starting fluid it will evaporate before anything would happen
Old 02-23-2007, 02:54 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Yeah I meant for him NOT to spray it on anything hot. Ive seen bad things happen when highly volatile sprays and heat comes into play, not perty. Ive even seen it get sucked back up into the can.
-P.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:55 PM
85 Stang
1st Gear Member

So the choke flap should stay open? and there isnt a spring?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:45 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

Yeah I meant for him NOT to spray it on anything hot. Ive seen bad things happen when highly volatile sprays and heat comes into play, not perty. Ive even seen it get sucked back up into the can.
-P.
wow that sucks i cant imagine having a flame get sucked back into a can when i was little in middle school i used to take eather and a lighter never had a problem lol
Old 02-23-2007, 06:00 PM
boof1027
2nd Gear Member

So the choke flap should stay open? and there isnt a spring?
Is this car a manual choke or electric. If the choke flap is closed it will idle up.

Quick Reply: Carb Question