5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

diagnose a t5 problem? help

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 02:04 AM
91gtworkinit
1st Gear Member

Default diagnose a t5 problem? help

hey guys i just joined...and i need some thoughts on this im not to mechanice here just a 22 yearl old stang lover..well here goes i have a 91 gt mustang 5 spd with the t5 five speed here is what she is doing.
1.when i shift into first i have to make sure it goes into it like i can feel when it ingages and sometimes it dosent and i go to take off and the car doesnt move just makes the grinding noise.
2.when i go to shift into second i have to make sure toshift it it hard or it wont go.
3. everytime the first time in the morning when i shift form 2cnd to third it grinds just once first time in the morning.
4.when i shift from 3rd to fourth if im up in the rpms it will grind but if i let the rpms go down it will go with no grind
5.when i put it into reverse i have to hold it there or it will pop out but if i hold it ...it will stay in.

i was told a clutch today actually..the guysaidand he rebuilds um said with that many problems it sounds like a clutch.which in ways makes sense..but im sure it could be both.but i dont have the cash to take it out and replace the clutch and have him put it back in and not cure the problem and then rebuild it. the budget i have is $1200 im not a mechanic either i can rebuild..all tho im thinking of just getting a video or manual and doing it..how hard is it? i mean i can change oil and stufff put exhaust on but never tried anything like that..but with instructions anyhting is poosible. well jsut wondering what u guys think thanks.any trannys for sale would be good.right now i can get a tremec 3550 that needs to be rebuilt for but its $400 thats not to bad and its out of the car..so im thinking if i buy that and rebuild it myslef (i wont have to take it just pay to have someone put it in) is that a good idea or???will the tremec 3550 fit?
Old 02-23-2007, 02:09 AM
cbennett
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: diagnose a t5 problem? help

sounds like the clutch to me...
try driving it without using your clutch and see if it will go through every gear smoothly

Old 02-23-2007, 02:11 AM
89 fox
4th Gear Member

i would start by trying to adjust the clutch cable....its free and easy....just somewhere to start
Old 02-23-2007, 02:11 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

94gtcoupe, come on down....
Old 02-23-2007, 02:12 AM
89 fox
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

94gtcoupe, come on down....
the almighty tranny king!!!
Old 02-23-2007, 02:15 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 91gtworkinit

hey guys i just joined...and i need some thoughts on this im not to mechanice here just a 22 yearl old stang lover..well here goes i have a 91 gt mustang 5 spd with the t5 five speed here is what she is doing.
1.when i shift into first i have to make sure it goes into it like i can feel when it ingages and sometimes it dosent and i go to take off and the car doesnt move just makes the grinding noise.
first gear syncro in the early stages of going out
2.when i go to shift into second i have to make sure to shift it it hard or it wont go. same as above, but 2nd, and further along, but not fully ****ed
3. everytime the first time in the morning when i shift form 2cnd to third it grinds just once first time in the morning. eh, kinda normal on older t5s, before you leave run it thru all the gears once, should make that stop
4.when i shift from 3rd to fourth if im up in the rpms it will grind but if i let the rpms go down it will go with no grind syncro, no question
5.when i put it into reverse i have to hold it there or it will pop out but if i hold it ...it will stay in. just gettin old, no syncro for R at all.

so everything i said. OR clutch. could very well be your clutch, what it does from 3-4, is it only 3-4 or every gear when your beating on it? if its every i vote clutch

i was told a clutch today actually..the guy said and he rebuilds um said with that many problems it sounds like a clutch.which in ways makes sense..but im sure it could be both.but i dont have the cash to take it out and replace the clutch and have him put it back in and not cure the problem and then rebuild it. the budget i have is $1200 im not a mechanic either i can rebuild..all tho im thinking of just getting a video or manual and doing it..how hard is it? i mean i can change oil and stufff put exhaust on but never tried anything like that(its not like changing oild or exhaust, lol)..but with instructions anyhting is poosible. well jsut wondering what u guys think thanks.any trannys for sale would be good.right now i can get a tremec 3550 that needs to be rebuilt for but its $400 thats not to bad and its out of the car..so im thinking if i buy that and rebuild it myslef (i wont have to take it just pay to have someone put it in) is that a good idea or???will the tremec 3550 fit?
i vote pm 94gtcoupe(hell see this thread and chime in) hell rebuild your t5 for relativly cheap(better then any shop) and knows his ****, id trust him w. one of mine if i werent gonna do it myself when i do take care of it(old one not in the car). it would end up costing under 1000 if you got him to rebuild your trans and you bought a new clutch. it will be over 1000 to get a shop to rebuild ur tranny....
Old 02-23-2007, 02:17 AM
91gtworkinit
1st Gear Member

matt del where do u live in maine? see i knew this site was going to help lol...the thanks for the info..the clutch does make sense i mean its jsut so many problems going in (engaging) ill serouisly drive to get the help yah know? but yea adjusting the clutch see thats where i draw a blank never done it.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:20 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cbennett

sounds like the clutch to me...
try driving it without using your clutch and see if it will go through every gear smoothly

ok you arent allowed to give trans advice anymore!
dont do that... just dont do it.

the more i think about it the more it does sound like the clutch, but what is making me think otherwise is that each gear has a differant symptom, if it were the clutch it would wanna grind a lil into every gear, and be hard to get in gear from a stop. since every gear has a differant problem im thinking your tranny has been beat on. hell its 16 years old. when i got my car it was like that,actually identical to what your sayin, from a stop 1st was hard to get into, 2nd and 3rd i had to match rpms to get in, and 4th id get a lil grind... i got a rebuilt one for my car and its PERFECT, now i am having clutch problems, but its not related, nor is it effecting the new trans at all
Old 02-23-2007, 02:22 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

as for adj the clutch, i explained it twice tn, check out the thread "clutch help!!!!!!!!!!", i wrote it in thre...
Old 02-23-2007, 02:23 AM
cbennett
3rd Gear Member

if his clutch isnt engaging all the way.. once he gets the car started.. he should be able to drive, and shift thru each gear.. without the clutch.. of course very smoothly and at a certain rpm.. rather than just mashing the clutch down, and trying to force it into gear

*shrug*
i work on computers all day not cars lol
so dimebag is probably right

Quick Reply: diagnose a t5 problem? help