5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Big Problem!!! OIL PRESSURE???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 04:51 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Big Problem!!! OIL PRESSURE???

ORIGINAL: silver91gt

if your oil level is really high,you could beleaking coolant in the oil too,
^ +1 on this logic. How did the oil get overfilled? It would look like a milkshake real quick if there was water in the oil. Fuel maybe? But you should have noticed that after you saw the oil pressure drop. Something doesn't add up. Where is the oil level now, and where was it when you checked it the first time.

Oil pressure is only too high when the filter won't stay on. Seriously,filters tend to only hold near 100psi - so that is where you run into problems.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:52 PM
fountainofpain

i had that problem once. my oil pan had a whole in it and i found out that i had to jack the engine up to get the pan off. my oil pump and everything was bad, and the car was leaking bad. but yes you have to jack the engine up which is a B**** but you have to do it. i bought my stang and it needed a few mods but thats what the funs all about lol. ive learned if your heart is in it you wont be that frustrated. just stick with it man. i found alot of problems and still having some.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

I've been wondering for months now what causes 5.0 oil pumps and shafts to go out. Does anyone have any ideas? What puts so much strain on the oil pump shaft, that it twists like a Twizzler?
Old 02-25-2007, 08:14 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

age and abuse

they got clogged pretty easy
Old 02-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 93 LX FiveO

age and abuse

they got clogged pretty easy
Thanks, 93. So you're thinking that various oil passages clog up, and then cause the pump to hydrolock, in a sense?
Old 02-25-2007, 09:03 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Things can get caught in the pump to lock it up. When I tore my engine down I found that what looks like a needle bearing got lodged in my pump. Thing was really small, I wish I could find it to show you. Anyway here's my oil pump shaft. I spun 2 bearings, but that was because I was going to go ahead & drive home at low rpm. Since you shut your car down instantly you should by no means need a rebuild, it takes quite a while of driving with no oil to spin a bearing in this case. I still have the oil pump shaft too

Old 02-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

if you drove it for any amount of time your engine is gonna be f**ked, don't take long. From the sounds of it, you drove it quite awhile without oil pressure, don't take long to wear out thebearings, then your valvetrain.

Anyway. Let's start from the top. Why would you tear apart your engine just to see if the pump is gone? Why not just pull out your distributor. 8 plug wires, 1 coil wire, 1 connector and 1 bolt and your distributor is out. Then look at the shaft, if the shaft is still intact, try spinning it with a socket (forget what size it is, 9/32" or something) and see if yourpump is building oil pressure, might take awhile, might have to turn itfor a minute or two, but if nothing's comin, if it doesn't start getting hard to turn,your pump's shot.This would be the absolute first thing I would do, as, this is what you do when you start an engine for the first time, you always pump up the oil pump.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:40 PM
Waldo5.0
1st Gear Member

Thats what I did today, but I was puzzled on where the shaft was. Is it usually in the distributor? I took the distributor out and the only thing i saw was a hollow tube (thinking it was the oil gallery) going down and I could see the cam shaft gears.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:00 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

there should be a long shaft that goes right in the bottom of the distributor, then the shaft goes to the pump
Old 02-26-2007, 12:21 AM
Waldo5.0
1st Gear Member

thats weird because the only thing I saw was the gear on the distributor and at the bottom of the distributor was something like an allen wrench looking input. I would think the shaft goes and connects right there, but yet i see absolutely nothing.

Quick Reply: Big Problem!!! OIL PRESSURE???