5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

86 GT future collectable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:18 AM
kotajack

Default 86 GT future collectable?

Just picked up a mint 15,000 original 86 GT 5.0/ 5 speed/ T top car. I realize its not a cobra or anything really rare but what makes it special is that its still bone stock original right down to the plugs. I am wondering if it might be valuable in the future, as I am sure it will go down in value the more it gets driven. I am afraid to modify it because of this. Also thought about pulling the orig engine and dropping in a crate or something and modify that motor instead. Am I crazy for thinking about not driving itand modifying it? I have no problem looking for another to modify.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:35 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: 86 GT future collectable?

sought after.. yes, collectable.... dont bank on it.

i dont care what kind of fox it is, they arent "collectables" unless they are cobra's. However, if the car is clean, and you can pick it up for cheap. clean it up and see what you can flip it for!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:49 AM
kotajack

I realize it wont be a collectable like an old shelby or anything like that. Sometimes you see an older muscle car that isn't rare but stillbrings good $ just cause its still got its original paint etc... The stang I have got looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Just a little worried about modifying the motor exhaust etc.. and ruining the origonallity of it. You dont see too many 4 eyes left
Old 02-25-2007, 11:01 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: kotajack

I realize it wont be a collectable like an old shelby or anything like that. Sometimes you see an older muscle car that isn't rare but stillbrings good $ just cause its still got its original paint etc... The stang I have got looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Just a little worried about modifying the motor exhaust etc.. and ruining the origonallity of it. You dont see too many 4 eyes left
well you arent going to last very long on this forum if you dont want to modify the car... you will catch the very contagious "modding bug", and will want to tear into the car. I'd personally say that you should hold onto it till spring time and try to flip it for more money. Then buy youself a notch and mod the crap out of it!
Old 02-25-2007, 12:38 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

the fox is no way a muscle car..sad but true..as for modding just throw in some gears,exhaust,pulleys as these mods are just what you would call replaceable items that go bad and won't hurt resale value if someone is looking for a low miles unmolested car
Old 02-25-2007, 01:05 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: kotajack

The amount that it would bring by beong 100% original is very minimal at best. These are just not colletible cars, there was simply too many of them made to be valuble. Yes a clean, unmodded car always worth more than a beat up pile of crap. I would mod it as you like and enjoy the car, that's what it is all about.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:07 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

I would hold on to itif it is as good conditon as u say 4 eye cars are har dot come buy in good shape . Try to find you self a older fox body and mod that if you wanna but I would leave the 86gt alone

Oh
[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Old 02-25-2007, 01:09 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

i would keep that as a nice weekend driver and get another stang that you can drop a create in
Old 02-25-2007, 01:47 PM
88droptopgt
2nd Gear Member

"The amount that it would bring by beong 100% original is very minimal at best. These are just not colletible cars, there was simply too many of them made to be valuble. Yes a clean, unmodded car always worth more than a beat up pile of crap. I would mod it as you like and enjoy the car, that's what it is all about."

The same can be said for the Stangs of the 60's, Camaro's, Chevelles when you say TOO many made. bla bla bla.
I think it is too soon to say if they are worth anything or not.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:37 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

86 FTW!

the way everybody is modding thier cars like mad I KNOW in another 20 years these 86s are gonna be rare, I found an 86 with factory everything, plugs, exhaust, water pump, but nowhere near the condition you have yours, I say save it for the Survivor class at the auto shows.

Quick Reply: 86 GT future collectable?