5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Using Nitrox on an engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:44 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default Using Nitrox on an engine?

I was sitting here on my laptop looking at dive sites for my upcoming vacation in two weeks (I'm a certafied SCUBA diver, so I was trying to plan dive locations in the caribbean.) But then I got this idea...

Would it be possible to use a recreational diving Nitrox mix to spray into the engine for a performance boost? Normal SCUBA tanks are generally filled with compressed air. Nothing more than you are breating now (79% nitrogen, 20% oxygen, 1% other garbage.) But if you are properly qualified, you can have your tank filled with what they call a Nitrox mix (technically, air is Nitrox too, but when you refer to nitrox they understand what you mean.) The recreational nitrox mis is usually around 40% oxygen and 60% nitrogen. That mixture aids in decompression and helps you feel more refreshed after a dive. But here's the best part... you can fill a tank, which is about the size of a 15lb nitrous bottle,for about $8.

It's not N2O, but it would add more oxygen to the combustion chamber and should increase performance. Is this something that is in the realm of reality or am I just crazy? Maybe I should just keep paying the $5 / lb for nitrous? lol.

Just a thought, lol.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:47 PM
BRizzle2208
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Using Nitrox on an engine?

sounds like a good idea but i have now clue if it would work............ you pay $5 per lb. for nitrous???????? where do you live cuz i just bought a kit less than a week ago and got my first bottle filled for $3.50 per lb
Old 02-25-2007, 10:51 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Portland, Maine. Around here it's anywhere from $5 - $6 per pound. It's $5 at a shop I go to a lot... $5.50 at Napa.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:53 PM
BRizzle2208
2nd Gear Member

damn that sux a big one. you know they say that nitrous is a cheap way to gain hp but they dont tell you that once you get the accessories and if you use it frequently you will prolly end up spending the same amount as a set of nice heads or even a supercharger.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:56 PM
15austin
3rd Gear Member

It is $5 per pound here too.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:56 PM
rocketrotary
2nd Gear Member

Nitrous is definately the cheap way to go if you have a race coming up and you need some extra horses quick, but in the long run it ends up costing you a lot more because you have to keep refilling the bottle. I was going to put mine on the bottle after I get back from the sandbox, but I started thinking about how much money it's going to cost to keep the bottle filled. I'd rather just put a nice S/C on it for 4 times as much and not have the recurring cost of bottle fills later.

Vic
Old 02-25-2007, 10:57 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Yeah, it can get pricey. That's why I only use it on occasion. I already got a set of GT40 heads.. nothing great but it's better than nothing. And then I have the Procharger for a little extra kick. The Nitrous is only for fun
Old 02-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

That would add HP Samseed. But how much more, I dunno? Depends on how you set it up. But more Oxygen means for fuel that will burn... Just curious, how long will a tank of that stuff last during a dive?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:05 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

How long it lasts depends on the depth you are at. The deeper you go, the faster you use up the supply because it gets compressed.

But just as an example.. a diver at 70 feet, breathing normally (for an average person), and using a standard sized tank could stay under for about 1 hour and 7 minutes.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Arrid Extra Dry
2nd Gear Member

if it did work, i wouldnt want to try it on my motor... wouldnt know how too tune it or what kind of pills or timing..
my buddy used to street race in his 86 mustang years ago, and got pulled over by a local cop... the cop was looking at the car.. looked in the back glass, and saw the nitrious bottle, and said" whos the scuba diver?"
what youposted reminded me of that story he told me.. kinda funny.
but nah, sorry... dont know if it would work or not? NEXT>>>>

Quick Reply: Using Nitrox on an engine?