5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

tips for pulling out rearend?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 07:39 PM
notch5oh
3rd Gear Member

Default tips for pulling out rearend?

my rearend is coming out thursday or friday.... i'm putting in gears w/ install kit, welding torque boxes, installing panhard bar, and lower control arms

you guys got any tips for removing the gas tank or the rearend itself? are there any little parts i need to get that i might have forgot about?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:56 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: tips for pulling out rearend?

Gas tank is pretty easy, just make sure it has very little gas in it or itll be heavy as hell. Its pretty simple, undo 2 of the strap bolts with a jack underneathe the tank. SLOWLY lower the tank to where you can get access to the fuel lines and any electrical connection. Undo those and remove the fill tube. I believe the fill tube has a screw that actually bolts to the tank so youll need to remove that too.
As for the rearend, youll probably need a torch to heat up the nuts so you can undo them. When I had my 8.8 put in, the nuts were so tight (or rusted) even after we heated em a brand new impact gun couldnt loosen em.
Anyway, here the way to remove it. Pinch off teh rubber brake hose going to the rearend. Disconnect the hard steel line from that junction. Remove driveshaft, ebrake cables. Put you floor jack under the center section. Then simply remove the upper and lower control arm bolts, and lower shock bolts. (be careful of the springs). Its pretty much as simple as that.
-P.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:57 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

make sure you have less than 3/8 of a tank of gas when removing the tank, unless you like to drink gas.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:01 PM
ModularFox
Banned

do you have to drop the gas tank to drop the rear end? i have to pull mine out this weekend but never have really looked under there.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:03 PM
notch5oh
3rd Gear Member

ya its only got an 1/8 of a tank, the teachers wont let you remove a gas tank if it has more than a 1/4 tank

should i maybe order new control arm bolts or wait and see what happens? i should mention i'll have about 3 weeks to do all that work install caster/camber plates, and fab a 6 point roll bar,thats why i wanna know if theres anything else i should order now, cause time is limited
Old 02-26-2007, 08:05 PM
notch5oh
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ModularFox

do you have to drop the gas tank to drop the rear end? i have to pull mine out this weekend but never have really looked under there.
i dont think, but i'll be welding under the car, thats my reasoning
Old 02-26-2007, 08:31 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

unless u got a leak it will be fine think of all the muffler shop that weld with the tank in all reality the loose lines will pose more of a threat
Old 02-26-2007, 08:36 PM
notch5oh
3rd Gear Member

well the panhard bar is probably getting welded in too,thats kinda gettin too close to the tank i think
Old 02-26-2007, 08:54 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

yes but unless theres a leak theres no harm
Old 02-26-2007, 08:58 PM
ModularFox
Banned

i can wait to get my rear end out and get the moser axles put in. then we can do some serious launches on slicks

Quick Reply: tips for pulling out rearend?