5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

need help installing 3:73

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 05:08 PM
notsoswwuyd
1st Gear Member

Default need help installing 3:73

Well I need help installing the 3:73 gears for my rear. I know how to do all of the work but what I do not know how to do is making sure that the ring and pinon gear are meeting correctly, like I would not know if I needed a pinon shim or a ring gear spacer, and I also do not know how much slack ther is supposed to be in between the pinon and ring gear and how to make sure that are correctly aligned.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:28 PM
Buzzstang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: need help installing 3:73

it would be easier to take the car to a mechanic and let him do it. the slightest error on you part and it could be diasterous. i would ask the mechanis if you could watch or maybe help and take notes on what and how he does things. there is nothing worse than you rear end locking up or coming apart it could be deadly. so leave it to the pros! no offense to you or nothing.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:02 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

i remember when i did my very first rear end along time ago, the bolts that hold the ring gear came lose on me, even tho i tourqed em... and my rear end locked up and the came lose and locked up.... i almost wrecked..... it wasnt a very fun expirence..... but now i can do it in a flash, all you really need is a dial indicator tool.... and if you got acess to a pinion depth tool, that would be usefull.... but if you dont got neither, you could just put the shims back where the old ones were, and shoot some white grease in there, and play with it for a hour or so, til you get em trailing right, thats what i had to do for my first few times til i got the tools i needed
Old 10-31-2004, 10:21 PM
87mustang347
3rd Gear Member

yah im with buzzstang on that one
Old 10-31-2004, 11:28 PM
notsoswwuyd
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nemethjames1

i remember when i did my very first rear end along time ago, the bolts that hold the ring gear came lose on me, even tho i tourqed em... and my rear end locked up and the came lose and locked up.... i almost wrecked..... it wasnt a very fun expirence..... but now i can do it in a flash, all you really need is a dial indicator tool.... and if you got acess to a pinion depth tool, that would be usefull.... but if you dont got neither, you could just put the shims back where the old ones were, and shoot some white grease in there, and play with it for a hour or so, til you get em trailing right, thats what i had to do for my first few times til i got the tools i needed

I have done three before, but they were factory replacment so they just sliped in with no prob. I was thinking that it would be different since I was changing to 3:73. I am guessing, but I would think that the ring gear would be a little fatter and the pinion would be a little smaller in diameter. Has any one installed these gears? If so, do you remember how many shims and what was needed to complete.

Thanks to all for the great help.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:38 PM
94GTNick
1st Gear Member

you pretty much have to get a dial indicator to check your backlash in your gear set. the backlash should be like .008-.013 in backlash to get the gears to mate right. you do this by moving the shims from one side to the other till you get the right backlash in the gears. seriously though, if you dont go and buy an indicator to do the job right, you shouldnt be doing it in the first place.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:54 PM
notsoswwuyd
1st Gear Member

I have a dial indicator, by back lash are you talking about the slack when you move the chunck one way and it taps the pinion then move it the other way tapping the pinon again. Also how do you know if you need to move the chunck from one side to the other, and when you need to move the pinion in or out?
Old 11-01-2004, 12:03 AM
94GTNick
1st Gear Member

backlash is ho much movement there is in the ring gear, up and down it should only move .008-.013 of an inch when you move the ring up and down and not turning the pinion. its just the slack in the gear. and you change it by moving you shims from side to side. thats if your using a new set of universal shims for mustang 8.8 rear differentials.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:09 AM
notsoswwuyd
1st Gear Member

how will I know if the pinion is in the right place?
Old 11-01-2004, 11:28 AM
Strahd

you need a pinion depth gage to measure the depth (200$+), if you have ford racing gears there is a technique to measure it called Master Housing Dimension(not sure if it works with other gears):http://www.superstallions.com/tech/d...ars/gears.html
as for the backlash it should be between .008 and .015

Quick Reply: need help installing 3:73