5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Automatic to Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 11:23 PM
87GT hatch
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Automatic to Manual?

If you are still interested in the conversion go to www.ampperformance.com. They have conversion kits that come with everything you need to do it, and I mean everything. I have been looking into doing an AOD to T-56 swap in my 87' but I still have some research to do. Hope that helps.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:28 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

the t56 swap is some dough, i would do that if it wasnt so damm pricey. how good of condition is that AOD of yours
ORIGINAL: 87GT hatch

If you are still interested in the conversion go to www.ampperformance.com. They have conversion kits that come with everything you need to do it, and I mean everything. I have been looking into doing an AOD to T-56 swap in my 87' but I still have some research to do. Hope that helps.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:40 PM
gmkilla
1st Gear Member

I converted mine...took a day of work to complete, and in my opinion well worht it, but I like taking things a part and putting them together. It's actually really easy to convert a mustang because all the holes already exist and its literally bolt in. (did it on an 84 camaro and had to cut holes in the firewall.) You would have to pull the guages becuase the speedo cable goes through the clutch cable hole on the automatic. THe clutch cable hole has a rubber gromet in it. The only part that really sucked was swapping the pedal assembly, you have to drop the steering column, but i managed to get ot out without removing the dash. I got all the parts froma donor car for 300 bucks, so it was well worth it for me, but it is labor intensive, and for some it might be too daunting or to difficult a task.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:58 PM
87GT hatch
1st Gear Member

Unfortunitly I am not sure if my AOD has ever been rebuilt because I am the third person to own the car, but for the couple months I have had it I have had no problems with it. I just prefere manual over automatic anyday.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:12 AM
Quatrocky
2nd Gear Member

hmm now im kind of intrested...nice site 87...there kits arent too bad especially for a used....
Old 11-02-2004, 12:23 AM
87GT hatch
1st Gear Member

I think they are located in Arizona. I called them a few weeks ago for information and the guy told me that the only thing that you would have to buy in a clutch. I forgot to mention that. sry. But other than that I was told it's just like the stock manual.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:54 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

keep the auto and install a good shift kit in it along with a good fluid cooler and maybe a higher stall converter and 3.73 gears and you will be very happy with this combo. you can also adjust the TV cable for the tranny to make it shift later and at higher rpms at WOT too.
you can get good info at www.lentechautomatics.com about the AOD and what can be done to beef it up and improve the performance.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:03 PM
LLADNAR
1st Gear Member

i will be swapping mine over soon too,, i already have the pedals installed, and i am going with the 4 banger t5, which is cheaper through salvage yards and has a better 1st and 2nd gear.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:19 PM
1{}D{}{V}{}DGT
2nd Gear Member

if i was u i would just keep on the auto sometimes the auto wins the race install some 4:10s and a good b&m shift kit then u would be like a 5 speed
good luck
Old 11-02-2004, 07:19 PM
gmkilla
1st Gear Member

Hey lladnar, I garauntee you'll be pulling that 4 banger tranny out in no time...there is a reason they are cheaper...they are much weaker. So unless you drive like my mom you are gonna have some broken parts. Also, althouch the splines are the same I am fairly certain that the end of the input shaft that slides into the pilot baering in the crank is smaller, and as far as I know there is no bearing to adapt to it. I would check it out, or you might have other problems.

Quick Reply: Automatic to Manual?