5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

4 cyl conv./header clearance prob.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:32 PM
hearthe5ohroar
1st Gear Member

Default 4 cyl conv./header clearance prob.

So I bought a 5.0 a few months ago and knew it was a conversion car.... I replaced exhaust and did the normal stuff that we all do with our LX's and GT's, but, when I changed the headers over to the BBK shorty equals, there is barely enough room to bolt the one on the drivers side in because of the steering arm. I thought it seemed odd..... but I did it anyhow and it's been a couple of months, I've let everything settle down, and made sure everything was tight, but there's this knock/tick that comes from the steering arm (from where it is hitting it all the time), now, it changes tone during acceleration (faster/slower/louder/softer) and I know for sure that it is the header resting against the steering arm. I lift up on (hard) the steering wheel and it gets less noticable. So I lifted it, checked the motor mounts and stuff, everything is fine, I just wonder if there's a known fix for this. I mean, there HAS to be someone who has done a conversion and knows the fix to this...... It never did it with the stock manifolds..... but who wants those on a pony anyhow?! Let me know what you guys think...... and setting the motor any higher is out of the question..... I'm not trying to buy a new driveshaft once it's thrown out of alignment..... I've seen it happen......
Old 03-08-2007, 09:42 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 4 cyl conv./header clearance prob.

are you sure it's not a blown header gasket?
Old 03-08-2007, 09:44 PM
hearthe5ohroar
1st Gear Member

Yup, nice try, I thought about that too though. But no, there's actually marks on the steering arm when you look under it while it's on the lift.... You can see that it's rubbing kinda bad.....
Old 03-08-2007, 09:48 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

did you ever think of installing a washer in between your motor mount and the K-member... Or maybe that your motor didnt go in perfectly straight.. try loosening both motor mounts and try to slide the motor a small bit towards the passenger side.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:54 PM
hearthe5ohroar
1st Gear Member

You know, I did slide it over just a little and it gave me more clearance than what I had, but that's the thing, now it just has the annoying-*** tick/knock to it. And you can feel it in the steering wheel. It used to be that you could barely steer at all until I moved the engine a little. I mean, probably 1/2 to 1 inch. Not much, but enough that the rag joint is well past the header. Now it's the actual "arm" that's giving me problems..... I contimplated getting a tilt steering wheel and just re-routing the entire steering system to a lower position. But I was hoping to get some second opinions from my fellow mustangforum.com members.....
Old 03-08-2007, 10:58 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Do you have rubber motor mounts? They can look good but still be bad and sag. Also you shouldn't be able to move your steering shaft up and down by pushing on the steering wheel. Look under the dash an make sure the steering shaft is secured down and thebrackets for the shaft haven't come loose.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:55 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

yeah +1 check your motor mounts and is the steering arm going threw the header or around the header ? Mine like everyone else gose threw the header
Old 03-09-2007, 01:22 AM
hearthe5ohroar
1st Gear Member

Um, actually, no, my steering arm passes just past the header. I can't see how it would be able to run "through" the header since there's no space between the header pipes to route it through. It's a little dark now, so I'll check the brackets tomorrow, keep you guys posted, but no, I don't figure there's anything wrong with the brackets, it takes QUITE a bit of force to pull up on the steering wheel to get the noise/vibrations to stop. And it's not like it moves more than a half-inch or so, and that's with as much force as a 190lb guy can put against it, well, without having to replace the shaft..... :P Anyhow, let me know.... I'm at a loss for ideas other than selling this thing. And I'd hate for this to be a simple fix, but I've never had a conversion car before.... So this may be my last......
Old 03-09-2007, 08:48 PM
hearthe5ohroar
1st Gear Member

Okay, so it's official, the brackets for the shaft are fine and it's still beyond me how anyone can get a steering arm through equal length shory headers, so if that's the "fix" action and someone who's done a 4-V8 conversion on a fox has experience with this problem, spread the wealth....
Old 03-09-2007, 09:05 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

only thing I could guess a bad motro mount or you got the wrong headers

Quick Reply: 4 cyl conv./header clearance prob.